27 Week old red sexlink not laying

BooBooMagoo

Chirping
Jul 2, 2022
So I don’t know if I’m just being a helicopter chicken mom or what but I’m a little concerned. Beanie Weenie is 27 weeks, she’s a red sex link and most definitely the lowest on the pecking order. They don’t injure her visibly but literally all of them peck at her when she’s close to them. She’s the queen of bob and weave and eat and run but she’s persistent and always among the flock. I pay pretty close attention to who’s laying because I’ve been watching for her to start. I have never been able to say she’s definitely ever layed. I have had one soft shell and one just a yolk about a week apart but otherwise nothing. I can’t swear either of those were from her as I was short a leghorn egg both days so it’s possible it was one of them. They are on Purina layer 16% and have free choice grit and oyster shells. They also get a little (very little) 5 grain scratch and black soldier larve snack at bedtime and/or garden scraps, wild grapes..small snack nothing crazy. So I’m wondering is she just a late bloomer, or is the low man on the totem pole stressing her or….what?

Attachments

• 67F09A21-5E26-496F-9855-396666D6C83D.jpeg
    67F09A21-5E26-496F-9855-396666D6C83D.jpeg
    673.7 KB · Views: 11
I look, I promise! Sometimes they get tired of squawking & waiting on the favorite box they all want and they go lay in their baby box I transitioned them into when I first brought them outside but they are in a large run and I have dug all through that dang brooder…nothing!

Well that was not the most pleasant experience of my life lol she is 1 fingerwidth between her hip bones and vent is smallish and pinkish yellow. Checked Diesel, my other RSL who is same age and is laying and she is 2 fingers and her vent is larger and pinker. Soooo does this mean she’s just a late bloomer?

As long as it’s not something I’m doing wrong nutritionally to delay her or another health problem, I’m just fine with her taking her time..just don’t want it to be me doing something wrong. Do you think that’s why she might be the lowest in the pecking order too or just coincidence? Also, they are on layer feed, do I need to supplement her somehow nutritionally since she’s the only one not laying yet or maybe go for a higher protein layer feed? I just emptied the bag into the 5 gal feeder so now is a good time to switch if I need to.

I have read in other threads here that when most are laying and one or two are not that the more “mature” pullets boss around or bully the ones not laying yet. I know that is the case in my situation.

A higher protein layer feed couldn’t hurt, even for the rest of them since they aren’t truly full grown yet. That is why I use Nutrena Hearty Hen since it is 18%, and I also provide free choice oyster shell. A lot of people leave them on grower or all flock for higher protein and give oyster shell on the side. And hopefully a few people with even more knowledge and experience will chime in.

Back
Top Bottom