27 weeks and no eggs. !

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammysue78, Aug 20, 2013.

1. sammysue78

sammysue78 New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Hi all, I have five girls--buff orpington (laying ~3 eggs per week), and four others who are not laying at all yet--same age; rhode island red, australorp, americauna, barred rock. Plus, the buff lays all over the coop/run, not in her straw filled nesting box. Ideas? Is this really odd?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That is a little late for the breeds you have to start, especially if they are hatchery birds, but not that unusual. You are sure that the orp is the only one laying and that they are not hiding eggs anywhere else? It sounds like you need to make your nesting box more attractive to the girls, do you have fake eggs in it, is it in a quiet dark spot where they can get to it easily? You might consider keeping them looked in the coop (if it is big enough to lock them in without causing problems) until later in the morning when they should have laid eggs. Are they on a commercial diet, or what are they being fed?

3. sammysue78

sammysue78 New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    They are on a commercial diet, with random leftover veggies from our dinner; they have oyster shell available as well. I will try keeping them in the coop more to see if that'll help. I think their nesting box is cozy and plush--fresh straw, nice and dark, etc.

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    My girls didn't start until 8 months and some of them still haven't started. It's nothing to worry about. Now you may have some girls hiding eggs as they don't lay in the nesting box like the poster above stated. Also, things that can effect the laying are juvenile molt and heat. The ones of mine that started did so just after their juvenile molt and our temps before the molt here were near 110, the rest are just finishing molt and I expect them to start any day now. I didn't expect them to lay in the excess heat. Try both the tricks listed above to see if you have any hiders and teach them where their nesting box is. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by