27 weeks old and still not laying...

cointoss

Songster
11 Years
Oct 1, 2008
Gaylordsville, CT
I bought 3 EE pullets this spring from another BYCer (who has been MIA on here since June and hasn't answered my email to him):

At the time, they were 13-14 weeks, which means they are approaching 28 weeks old, and still no eggs. Not a one. They are definitely all girls, no question, and they are eating plenty of good food, just like my other chickens which are laying daily. My other hens were deifferent breeds and began laying earlier, I have no experience with EEs, but he had said that they should start between 20 and 24 weeks. Is it the weather? Any suggestions?

They do free-range during the day, but every few days in a while I keep them in late or all day if its storming, so I would know if they had begun to lay outside... Our other hens lay in the nest box, and I leave the eggs in longer than usual (in addition to the ever present golf-ball) so the newbies can see where they are supposed to lay.

I don't know, I only have 1 EE. She started laying at 22 weeks.

Is it really hot?
Are they squatting?
Maybe they weren't the age you thought they were when you got them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmm. Their combs are just beginning to become redder (they were barely pink before) and a tad larger, plus they are just starting to fill out sideways, so hopefully those are good signs. I would be surprised if they aren't the age I thought though, I would think the person who hatched them knew how old they were... But maybe he was spacier than I thought, LOL.

I found some other posts on here of chickens laying between 25 and 30 weeks, so I haven't given up hope yet. I'll give them much longer than that, even: until around Thanksgiving
wink.png

My EE's are just hitting laying age and have a huge difference in their combs. The ones who are ready to lay/just laying have seriously stoplight red combs. Not pink, RED. They also about doubled in size. Hope that helps
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom