275 Gallon Automatic Waterer...

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by casamc, Dec 11, 2010.

1. casamc

casamc New Egg

Jan 3, 2010
    Colorado
    Well I think I have figured out how to not have to schlep water to the chickens all winter. [​IMG]

Take a look at my blog for details:

http://www.ajoyfulnoisefarm.com/?p=320

I still need to put heat tape on the SuperFlow waterer so it does not freeze on really cold nights but so far it is working great.

Craig
    www.ajoyfulnoisefarm.com

2. rambo3715

rambo3715 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2009
    I gotta get me one of those!!!!!

3. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

I actually have been selling these tanks. People use them for raised beds, fish tanks, water troughs an hundreds more things. The full mark is 175 but they hold around 300. There easy to come buy for about $50 but most are not food grade an have had chemicals in them. Food grade one can get pricey but what you should get for things like this. Look for them anywhere that does bulk cooking.

4. PJCluck

PJCluck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2010
    Living Free in NH
    That looks great and convenient. Maybe you can help me then. I bought a food-quality 50-gallon drum, hooked up PVC pipes, and stuck in FarmTek nipple waterers all along the pipe. The chickens loved it for a few months. Eventually the water got very funky, even though I added apple cider vinegar to the tank every time I added water (very clean, non-sulfurous well water). With so much water, how can one keep an enclosed tank clean?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    seriously? That is an amazing find!! did it come with the steal cradle basket around it too???? what was in yours?? food wise--wow great find and congrats!!! how long does it take for the birds to go through that much water-and how do you stop it from freezing?? sorry so many questions just really excited for you and about this-not that Ill ever see one available around me but hey you never know!!!

6. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    called a cubetainer.

I used to get them free from work.

Yes! They come with the metal cage, part of the structure that makes them transportable by fork lift when full.

7. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:amazing--now why would people give them away ?? I mean why not reuse them over and over-or is there alot of maintenance you will have to do to them when they do go up for sale?

8. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

There actually called "Intermediate Bulk Containers" or "IBC Totes" an most are made by Schutz but they are starting to lose the manopily. The have become popular because they can ship the same amount of liquid as 5 steel drums using the same pallet sized footprint as 4 steel drums. Schutz also clames that they can be stacked 4 high, full. Not sure I trust that. They were being gave away because companys were having to pay for them to be taken away by the companys that deal with bio-hazard steel drums. But Schutz will actually buy them back an come get them so they can replace the liner an resell them. As companys are figuring this out it is getting harder to get them. Theres also liability if you give away a tote an someone gets sick using it for water. Non food grade are worth about $50 here an food grade are about $150. Here is a list of sellers.
    http://www.containerexchanger.com/subcategory/IBC_Totes/12

9. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Awesome idea! But what I love most is your hoop house! Talk about a ton of room and you know those chicks won't ever be bored!

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:thats amazing thank you for the link!!! There's none for sale in NY though-but I will bookmark this page to keep looking! thank you again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by