27th or 28th May hatch, looking for buddies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by natchlaly, May 8, 2011.

1. natchlaly

natchlaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    Hi this is my 3rd hatch in my poly box incubator. i have set 19 lavender araucana eggs from my own breeding quartet x This is the first time that i have used my own eggs as have bought them previously, so keeping my fingers crossed. would love to have some buddies to hatch with [​IMG]

2. GeoKan

GeoKan Cackleberry Curator

Mar 9, 2011
    Troy, Kansas
    Greetings Natchlaly.

My eggs are due to hatch between the 26th and 28th. I'm not sure what a hatch buddy does, since this is my first time hatching, but I'm willing to give it a go. [​IMG]

I have 2 dozen Black Copper Marans eggies and a dozen Golden Lakenvelders. I made my own incubator, so I'm a bit on edge hoping all will turn out well. [​IMG]

Here's a pic of the little devils loaded up. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it would be fun having a hatch buddy from the UK! [​IMG] Sounds like you have some nice eggs going.

3. natchlaly

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    you have a nice set up going on there, A hatch buddy is just someone that you can chat too about what is happening with your eggs, e.g. candling results and progression. Will be nice to have someone to share these things with:D

4. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I posted a thread with the same hatch dates but nobody is joining so I'll join you.[​IMG]
    This is also my 3rd hatch. I set 28 mutt eggs yesterday at 4:40 PM EST.

5. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm.. I didn't set any for now.. [​IMG]

I'll just hope that you and the other will have a great hatching.. [​IMG]

6. natchlaly

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    :yiipchickNice to have you on the team Mrs.Brown:yiipchick

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. Mrs.brown

Mrs.brown Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    In a coop
    I sit at the incubator all day long....................................

8. natchlaly

Jul 2, 2007
    east yorkshire UK
    Wish I could lol. From the first pip I will be glued and the kids will have t fend for themselves [​IMG]

9. GeoKan

GeoKan Cackleberry Curator

Mar 9, 2011
    Troy, Kansas
    Hey Natchlaly,

How's your eggs doing? Just checking in to see how you're holding up.

My incubator has been running pretty darn good for a homemade job. It's reading between 99.3 to 99.9. Humidity around 40 percent.

I'm concerned about candling though. I don't know if I should do it or not and just trust my nose at day 18.

Candling means opening up the incubator. I don't know if this would be wise. I have 36 eggs in there now. If I candle, the temps will drop. I assume you take one egg out, candle it, put it back in the incubator. Doing this 36 times x 2 will severely disrupt the temperature levels.

Any thoughts on this?

10. hennypenny99

hennypenny99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Hugo, Ok
    I will join this hatch along too.

Here is what I have in the incubator. Due 05/27/2011 - 05/29/2011 I have a dozen guinea eggs.

I was a little worried at first because they were shipped eggs and when I candled at day 4 I could only see development in 2 eggs. Well guineas take 26 to 28 days to hatch so maybe day 4 was too early to candle because when I candled yesterday, day 7 I could see little veins in 10 out of 12 eggs! I know I still have a long way to go but that was exciting.

This is my second hatch. I did chicken eggs last time. On my locally bought mutt eggs I had about a 60% hatch rate and on my shipped eggs about a 30% hatch rate. I'm new to this and I candled often and had some temp fluctuations and a power outage. So I am hoping that I will do a little better this time. I probably won't candle again until just before lockdown. I want to keep the incubator shut as much as possible to keep the temp and humidity steady. Also I have had these on an automatic turner the whole time and with my last hatch I bought one in the middle of the incubation time.

Good Luck everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by