27wk Old EE - Number Four....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Reyvaughn, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    I can't handle many more sick chickens. I have to in the house now.

I noticed yesterday that my 27wk old EE, Peaches, had diarrhea all down her butt feathers and made a mental note. I didn't think it was serious at first - it's not the first time my girls have ad this issue and it usually clears up. Today she let me catch her and she's an elusive pullet that doesn't let me get near her. I also noticed she had an empty crop and was feeling a little thin/light. I put her down and she just went and laid down on the shed floor - not normal for her. I brought her up to the house and gave her vitamins, wormed her and gave her some egg to eat. She picked at the egg a little, drank a little and that was that. Her poop is still runny; it ranges from white urates and watery to dark green/black mostly solid with a foul smell and urates. I checked her for being eggbound and she's not. I didn't get an egg from her today, though. I just gave her a bath to clean the stinky poop off her butt and trimmed her feathers for future cleaning.

So, anyone have an idea what could be the problem? I don't want to lose her, guys. She's one of my favorites. I can handle losing the other three that are sick I posted about, but not her.

Could it be Necrotic Enteritis? She isn't humped w/ eyes closed, but now that I look, the symptoms kind of fit. And Ulcerative Enteritis kind of fits what my Speckled Sussex has been getting. Now, what I don't get is how they would have gotten it. My hen shed is not disgusting. But, with all the rain (over 20 inches in 3wks), that's the only think I could imagine being the cause.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  2. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Are you feeding medicated chick starter? You should be.

ETA: sounds like coccidia.

3. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    double post

4. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Medicated feed for a 27wk old laying pullet? No. I am not. I just took them off of it 3 weeks ago because 90% of my flock is laying. It could be Cocci, but I am not so sure.

5. Glenmar

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    Sorry. Just realized how old they were. Still it sounds like cocci.

[​IMG]

6. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Anyone else have any input? I've been fighting cocci all year, so it could be... But, I don't know. She's not eating now (she pecked at a little egg yolk today), still drinking a little, lethargic, weight loss, diarrhea that stinks and is black/dark green. No blood, no ruffling. She occasionally pants, so I am assuming she's not cold.

She is on day two of Corrid in the water and I wormed her yesterday with ivermectrin (horse paste).

Anyone?

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I would think cocci. Make sure she's drinking the medicated water.

8. Reyvaughn

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Yep, I think you are right. Today she's eating and drinking better. She's not so wobbly on her legs, either. I am mixing my Corrid at 4x recommended strength because they aren't drinking much.

9. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think you can cut down to the normal strength now. The high dose may make her sick. I hope it's cocci and not something untreatable. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by