28 Degrees...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by windtryst, Dec 18, 2009.

1. windtryst

windtryst Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    28 degrees at 9:30pm. I went out to bring in my 4 EE’S that won’t go in the coop. They roost in the rafters of the run, always have but I was worried about them being so cold after a long cold day here in Pennsylvania. When I picked them up and felt under their feathers they felt quite warm! I put them in the coop with the others, but I think they were fine.
    I will sleep better.

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't worry. 28 degrees to them is like a nice cool fall day to us. It went down to 16 below zero, and mine still wanted to go out and stay out. All made it thru last winter. Yours should not even notice.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    We've already had several snow storms here and many nights of sub-zero temps, daytime highs only in the teens - 20's for days on end, no sun a lot of days. The birds did fine. They tended to stay in the coop most of the days, especially when the snow was deep. And our coop is not insulated and does not have any electricity to power a heater or light.

As long as they have a dry, draft-free place and plenty of food and water they will be fine.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by