1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

28 week black coppers not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crazyforchicks, Nov 21, 2010.

1. crazyforchicks

crazyforchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    I have a small flock of black copper marans that I purchased back in may and they are doing really well but have not given me a single egg yet, I know that its that time of year for the girls to start molting but I would have thought I should have gotten some by now at least. They are on layer mash and scratch corn I even tried cat food to amp up the protein a bit. I am putting a light in the coop in a few days here. Anyone have any ideas I havent tried? I'm totally stumped...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    by New Years, they'll start laying some big eggs for you.

3. pinkchick

pinkchick "Ain't nuttin' like having da' blues"

May 30, 2008
    Washington State
    Sounds like they are just being stubborn and stingy. [​IMG] How dare they hold back those pretty eggs? Silly girls.

Some can take longer to mature than others. The light should help them get their groove on, sounds to me that they should have started laying just as the days got shorter and without a light they probably would wait until spring to start up. What color are their combs and wattles and how big are they? Is it possible to share a photo of their comb development?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  4. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Just got my first BCM yesterday, finally. Mine were born sometime in Feb/March I was told. Didn't think I'd ever get one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by