28 week black coppers not laying

crazyforchicks

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
I have a small flock of black copper marans that are 28 weeks and havent given me any eggs. I have them on layer mash and scratch corn I have even tried cat food for protein. I understand that its the time of year that most girls molt, so maybe that is all it is. I am putting a light in the coop today but am not sure how long to set the timer for, I was told 14 hours of light is enough but am not sure, Any ideas to why they havent given up one egg?

That's not unusual. Mine have always started at about 6 to 7 months. Randy (Berkeley Springs) I believe said his Wheatens will go 8 months.
It's an odd time of year for them to start up because the days are so short.

If they were mine, I would probably let them wait until the days start to get longer. Out here, the days are at their shortest around the end of November and start to get longer again in January.
smile.png

Quote:
Chickens do not molt first year.

I do not know where you are but farther North in winter, shorter the days, that might be the factor in your case.

Quote:
Wrong. I've got at least five who are molting on their first year - They're only 7-9 months old.

As for the concern on an older Marans not laying - It's quite normal. I still have a couple Wheatens I'm waiting on, and they're 8 months old.

Up here in WA I don't worry of the winter stopping a new pullet from laying though. My Wyandottes were of laying age in the middle of December, and despite the cold, they laid anyway.

Perfectly normal. Just give them time. It may be spring until they lay, but the light will encourage them to start sooner.

Marans aren't the best layers to start with. I have a great quality cuckoo that is about 18 months old, and she has maybe given me 25 eggs total. Gorgeous #7 eggs, that are really dark for a cuckoo. But still, very shy laying.

My BCM is more regular, but still, takes breaks, and only gives 2 or 3 a week when she's laying well.

That said, I love every Marans egg I get. They can't be beat!

My 7 month old black copper Marans have started laying. I own the parents and have raised these fine young ladies. They are giving me exceptional dark eggs but only a medium size for now.
I am still feeding them starter, too. It is from a local mill and I have had good results from it. They do have access to oyster shell and in a few months they will be going into the breeding pen but for now they are still growing and playing...being kids.

Give yours time, they will lay.

Back
Top Bottom