28 week old Silkie...what am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by JodyJo, Oct 21, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Please help me identify this one...at 28 weeks I expected something, another poster has one at 9 weeks that started to crow...so this gives me hope mine is a pullet...anyone else?
    Neither of my roos is paying attention yet, although yesterday I heard some ruckus and ran to look, this silkie was high tailing it away from a rooster...maybe?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    i go with my gut and say " Pullet "

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I think I see streamers in picture 2, so im going with male.

4. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I say pullet

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    2 for pullet one for rooster.....ugh! It doesn't matter to me....just curious if I am going to be getting some tiny eggs soon!

6. CupOJoe42

CupOJoe42 CT Chicken Whisperer

Apr 11, 2011
    I'm going with Roo.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I say roo.. His/her stance seems very much like my silkie rooster...

But the poof.. Why is it so tiny? Is it pure silkie? [​IMG]

8. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:I have no idea if it is pure...got it from a womans back yard, "hatchery" (term loosely used here)....it had feathered feet, and was small, so we took it, (took pity on it and its living conditions I should say)...what would it be if not pure silkie?

9. aoxa

Quote:I have no idea if it is pure...got it from a womans back yard, "hatchery" (term loosely used here)....it had feathered feet, and was small, so we took it, (took pity on it and its living conditions I should say)...what would it be if not pure silkie?

It's most likely not. It looks like a single comb.. But pure silkies can get that as well.. It could just be a poor quality silkie (though we all have love and think our chickens are perfect!)

My silkie hen is not perfect. She has light skin and a red comb. She is not up to standards, but she is pure (silkie mother/silkie father). Somewhere in those lines there must have been something else though...

I think it's a boy, but if it hasn't crowed, than I could be wrong.

Do you have any more pictures?

10. aoxa

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my pure silkie rooster, Steve. You notice the streamers on his crest? Sign of a rooster.. Also, the legs are longer on the rooster.. The hen is almost touching the ground.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my hen, Lorraine. She's not perfect, but I find her adorable and sweet. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by