28 weeks old and still not crowing (Silkie)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babsh, Nov 12, 2009.

1. babsh

babsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I have a silkie that has the tell-tale male streamers off the back of his head. He has a larger comb and wattle than our other silkie.
    He's got to be a male, unless females can have the streamers, too.

So why isn't he crowing at 7 months of age?

Barb

2. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    Anyone know the range for birds to start crowing?

3. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    I got alot of roos around here and would be really Thankful if I had one that didn't crow!! [​IMG]

Seriously I know nothing about silkies but I get em trying at I spose anywhere after 16-18 wks.

4. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    I just can't figure it out. As far as I know, there are only 2 logical answers- either it can really take a long time for some to crow, or he is not a he.
    He has the tell-tale spiky feathers coming from the back of his head. Maybe they can have those and still be a female? Or, maybe crowing can take longer than 7 months.

5. hangin'witthepeeps

hangin'witthepeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Colbert, GA
    I had a 21 week old Silkie who only crowed after my Standard SLW roo. Well needless to say the SLW and Silkie roo went missing one day (on the same day). I still have not found out what happened. So my TWO other silkie roos who are now 23 weeks old and they do not crow. I have never heard them, not once. So may be some silkie roos just don't feel the need to crow unless others do.

6. babsh

Apr 30, 2008
    Minnesota
    hangin'witthepeeps :

I had a 21 week old Silkie who only crowed after my Standard SLW roo. Well needless to say the SLW and Silkie roo went missing one day (on the same day). I still have not found out what happened. So my TWO other silkie roos who are now 23 weeks old and they do not crow. I have never heard them, not once. So may be some silkie roos just don't feel the need to crow unless others do.

Very helpful to know. Thank you!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by