286 eggs - Hatch status

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MissPrissy, May 18, 2009.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Crowing Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I put 286 eggs in my dickey bator over the course of 2.5 weeks.

So - 20 something turkey eggs and 14 guinea eggs are still going and expect to hatch one day this week. 19 quail eggs hatched during the week and are very tiny and cute. 14 duck eggs finishing up.

So the eggs started hatching last monday. Lots of splashes hatched first. I sent all of those little splash babies along with blue and blacks with Theresa from NJ. No splashes in my brooder. Only blues and blacks left for me after I filled several more requests for chicks.

233 orpingtons eggs where moving right along with an awesome hatch. Friday we had a county wide power outage and it stayed out for 7 hours. The temps dropped down to 82 in the end. I lost alot of eggs in this hatch. Some chicks died after pipping and starting to zip. Some hung on and with a little nursing with vitamins and warm honey water they perked up and pulled through. I lost about 90 chicks due to the chill and the power outage. (What is up with the weather?? It is predicted to be 38 tonight!!)

Some eggs in the bator were from JnJRoss and TuffOldHen. Thankfully the first hatched before the outage and the second set was far enough along it just delayed their hatch. I hatched 6 from Jen and 11 from TOH.

After sending every single splash chick I hatched to a new home in NJ - 7 of the chicks from TOH are splash. I think I hold the record for hatching the most splash from the fewest of her eggs. LOL

I'll post some photos later.

2. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    It's a RULE -- if it is what you DON'T want, it'll hatch like crazy. Better luck with the rest of the buggers.

Don't power outtages just SUCK? Had mine go out hatch day and kill four of eleven. Stupid thing.

And yes the weather is tooooo weird. Low 40's overnight? High 30's? I did not order this weather.

3. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Miss Prissy, you are awesome, lol. I hope someday to be just like you.

Cheri [​IMG] (but I have a generator [​IMG] )

4. roche477

roche477 Songster

May 15, 2009
    Malvern, Arkansas
    I think my husband would leave if I tried to hatch that many eggs! As for power outages, I am purchasing a cheap portable generator. There are times we have no power for a day or more!

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    We have backups but they won't support this big machine for long. [​IMG]

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Crowing

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Hey thread hijack MissP, wanted to thank you for your long running foam bator thread. Without it I would have never had the confidence to start building my own and now my third attempt is up and running like a CHARM and it keeps kicking out fuzzybutts for me without a hitch.

Until I can buy a Dickey you really were the inspiration to getting my own incubators going. So a big [​IMG] for you for putting all that together. This year's numbers are well over 40 now and that's just spring and the last two incubators built. LOL.

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I am so glad you have had success! Yayyy for more fuzzy butts! [​IMG]

It doesn't have to be fancy or have lots of bells and whistles to hatch great chicks.

8. Maryallison

Maryallison Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    By no means am I an expert like you guys, but I do love hatching out chicks! [​IMG] We had a power outage last month when I had my 1st eggs in the incubator. I got lucky and power was out for just 2 hours and everybody was ok. I was a wreck though! [​IMG] I gave my kids flashlights to play with and I was worried about the incubator! [​IMG]

9. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Quote:The part that got me was the 7 splash from Sandy! I hatched from her twice this spring and got 1 splash each time = 2 splash for me! [​IMG]

I am sorry to hear about the overall loss! Maybe a small honda generator would help (I guess I am spending your egg money) [​IMG] , but it might pay for itself with one use, cause I know you have chicks to sell and probably a waiting list. I love mine btw. One of the March chicks that I picked up is going to be a beautiful blue roo one day [​IMG]

I cannot wait to see pics!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by