1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

29 week old Marans hen not laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ctaynton, Nov 5, 2010.

1. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    Is there something I am doing wrong? She is 29 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet! The other chick (olive egger) that was hatched with her has been laying for a month already. Is there something wrong or are they slower to mature? I am getting impatient! I have the most anticipation to see my chocolate eggs!

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Patience, my friend. They are slow, but worth the wait. Mine laid at 32 weeks, which apparently is not uncommon. But now she lays almost daily.

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    She will lay, give her a little longer. I don't think it has anything to do w' breed--I think it has to do w/ each bird.. She is just letting you enjoy the anticipation- [​IMG] -just think how happy you will be,, You need to practice up on your [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ....

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  4. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    YAY! She laid her first egg today! I thought it was never going to happen! At least now I know it isn't something I am doing wrong. Thanks for the words of wisdom! Here is a picture of her egg! It is alot darker than I expected which is awesome!
    [​IMG]

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    My best Wheaten pullet is over 25 weeks old and I'm still patiently waiting for her eggs. [​IMG]

6. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Beautiful egg!! [​IMG] I have one so I'll know when she lays! She's only 21 weeks old now!! [​IMG]

7. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Lucky!!

My BCM's are 29 1/2 weeks old and not leying yet....[​IMG] But hey, if telling everyone worked for you (then a day later you get an egg from yours) Well heck! I'm gonna post it....

Congratulations!!

8. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I have two 33 week old girls, and I'm still waiting (not so patiently anymore) with those two free-loaders! lol

9. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    MY Marans have not laid yet...so i fell your pain. They are 23 weeks. What bothers me is that winter with cold weather and no light is coming. Just as my girls shou start laying.

All my other breeds were laying by now. So IMO Marans are a little slower to start laying. This seems to be backed up by others posts that say 29, 25, 33 weeks, etc.

The only good news is it is worth the wait for those dark chocolate colored eggs!!!

Dave

10. HorizonSon

HorizonSon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Pacific NW
    Might try feeding them raw chocolate milk (which comes from brown cows, of course). As well as a triple-egg calendar of roos for in the coop (assuming there are no lil fuzzy butts around to see it).
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by