29 week old Marans hen not laying!

ctaynton

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Eastern Oregon
Is there something I am doing wrong? She is 29 weeks old and hasn't started laying yet! The other chick (olive egger) that was hatched with her has been laying for a month already. Is there something wrong or are they slower to mature? I am getting impatient! I have the most anticipation to see my chocolate eggs!

She will lay, give her a little longer. I don't think it has anything to do w' breed--I think it has to do w/ each bird.. She is just letting you enjoy the anticipation-
hide.gif
-just think how happy you will be,, You need to practice up on your
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Last edited:
YAY! She laid her first egg today! I thought it was never going to happen! At least now I know it isn't something I am doing wrong. Thanks for the words of wisdom! Here is a picture of her egg! It is alot darker than I expected which is awesome!
51008_marans.jpg

Lucky!!

My BCM's are 29 1/2 weeks old and not leying yet....
hit.gif
But hey, if telling everyone worked for you (then a day later you get an egg from yours) Well heck! I'm gonna post it....

Congratulations!!

MY Marans have not laid yet...so i fell your pain. They are 23 weeks. What bothers me is that winter with cold weather and no light is coming. Just as my girls shou start laying.

All my other breeds were laying by now. So IMO Marans are a little slower to start laying. This seems to be backed up by others posts that say 29, 25, 33 weeks, etc.

The only good news is it is worth the wait for those dark chocolate colored eggs!!!

Dave

Might try feeding them raw chocolate milk (which comes from brown cows, of course). As well as a triple-egg calendar of roos for in the coop (assuming there are no lil fuzzy butts around to see it).
hide.gif

Back
Top Bottom