2day old baby turkey

Twinky501

In the Brooder
Dec 17, 2018
I have a Turkey that hatched on Saturday evening. Is Monday morning and still is not walking or eating. It just lays there. It opens its eyes and moves his legs and body when you pick it up. I been using a syringe to give it water. Is this normal or is there something wrong with the chick. This is our first hatchling.

Welcome To BYC

I don't know a lot about Turkeys, but that would not be normal for any chick/poult.

Is this the only one that hatched?
What temperature are you keeping him?
Can you get photos? Photos are sometimes helpful - show the chick/poult, the brooder, etc.

Are they legs swollen or splayed? Can he stand on his own or just lays there?

I would try giving Poultry Nutri-Drench - 3-4 drops twice a day.

I'm sorry that he's not moving much, hopefully he will rally, but I've found that sometimes some babies fail to thrive:(

I'll tag in @NatJ @Molpet and @Isadora to see if they have any other suggestions.

Welcome To BYC

I don't know a lot about Turkeys, but that would not be normal for any chick/poult.

Can you get photos? Photos are sometimes helpful - show the chick/poult, the brooder, etc.

I'm sorry that he's not moving much, hopefully he will rally, but I've found that sometimes some babies fail to thrive:(

I'll tag in @NatJ @Molpet and @Isadora to see if they have any other suggestions.
I agree with suggestions.
Could put it in a heavy cup to keep it upright.
They have absorbed yolk and don't need food or water for 3 days.

But usually if it's in an incubator or proper temperature brooder it doesn't make it anyway. Something is wrong with it.

I haven't hatched turkeys, but I have hatched goslings, ducks, and guineas. I have had a few hatchlings have similar behavior, and unfortunately none of them made it. Something sounds wrong with your chick. That's too long of a time to not be moving around. I agree with the above about nutri drench. Hopefully a little bit of nutrition will get him up and going.
But try not to feel too badly if he doesn't make it. These kinds of things happen, unfortunately.

Welcome To BYC

Thank you for your help. But unfortunately the baby didn’t make it😫

Back
Top Bottom