2day old chicks with bloody urine.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pastors wife, Apr 7, 2018.

1. Pastors wife

Pastors wife Hatching

Mar 5, 2018
    Good morning! I'm new at raising chickens, and am in panic mode.
    I have 2 day old chicks. Just picked them up yesterday. Today one is lethargic, can barely stand, and her poop is mostly pink urine (blood?)
    I have separated her from her buddies into a shoebox sized box but have no idea what to do next. Does she need to be in a different room from the rest? What can I do to try to save her?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. She does not need to be separated unless she is being hurt or trampled. Did they come from a feed store or a breeder? Blood or orange gel in the poo can be a sign of coccidiosis. They usually don’t get it this early, so she also could have an injury. I would get Corid from the feed store and begin treating for coccidiosis, just in case. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water. Until you get that, give the chick water with some sugar or molasses mixed in.

3. Pastors wife

Pastors wife Hatching

Mar 5, 2018
    Thank you! They are from a poultry hatchery. She's so pitiful. I added some molasses to her water and will keep her separated today so she doesn't get trampled. I will go find Corid in a minute. We are an hour away from Tractor Supply but have neighbors with chickens.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can also use Corid powder 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat all chicks for 7 days, and use some probitocs if your feed does not contain them. If they won’t drink, give them water or dip beaks, and you may also put Corid water into a small amount of their feed to make it runny.

5. Pastors wife

Pastors wife Hatching

Mar 5, 2018
    Corid seems to be the recommendation. I'm not sure how a 2day old baby could need it yet but certainly try it. Thank you for responding.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Me too, but that is the most common reason for bleeding. She could have something internally causing the bleeding, or some type of enteritis (inflammed gut.)

7. Pastors wife

Pastors wife Hatching

Mar 5, 2018
    Poor little thing. Really appreciate everyone's help with this. I figured I'd be dealing with sick chickens at some point, but not on day 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: