2day old silkie not up on feet is this Bad?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jjrabbit2, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jjrabbit2

jjrabbit2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    [​IMG]

This is my first time to have broody hens! These silkie chicks are 2days old and the other two eggs still havent hatched. Its is not on feet looks like its swimming. Is this a silkie thing cuz they need to strengthen there legs?
    I had this happen to another one about 3 days it started walking (is about 10 days old now ) and it is fine and walking around! These were brooded chicks not in bator.... They are still in nest with mama! Should I bring in the house and seperate from the flock? The other hen is in house in a rabbit cage with 4 chicks .... Help! Is it deformed or something! Thanks Jessica

2. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Looks like splay leg in the photo, search for threads on this subject if you want to try to fix this. Yours looks severe. Options are try to treat this or cull. Culling is sad, but if you are hatching for breeding birds, selling birds ect- you should not pass this possible genetic tendency along. If you are hatching for pets only- you can try treating, by creating tape 'hobbles' to bring the legs together into a normal position, but allowing enough play for the chick to walk. Leaving them on and adjusting for a few days or weeks- depending on how the chick is doing. If the legs cannot be brought together or do not bend at the hock/ankle- you should cull, as the chick will soon get ulcered on the belly, and will be unlikely to have any sort of normal life. If you are going to try to treat- do it today, as the longer it is down and the legs are in the abnormal position, the harder it will be to correct. The hips and bones/joints are growing/forming as you think about what to do...

3. jjrabbit2

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    thnks for the info I am going to try to help it! I will also look up splaying!
    Jessica

4. jjrabbit2

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    The chick is starting to stand up and not flat on stomach any more. Is looking better I will up date on how the tapeing is working! [​IMG]

5. jjrabbit2

Mar 24, 2009
    Kuna Id
    [​IMG] Looks like it will be ok! I hope!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by