2dy-old chick with bloody ear

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlazeJester, Aug 3, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    When I went to clean the brooder this morning I noticed one of my 2-day-old columbian wyandotte chicks with a bloody eardrum. She is eating, chirping and drinking normally but I'm sure I did not see this yesterday when they arrived.

Condition notes:

The chicks have been pecking at each others' eyeballs quite a bit (there are 8 of them) and one was pecking pretty hard at toes when they arrived. I guess their shipping box must have felt cramped. What can I do to distract such small chicks from pecking each others eyes? I've heard about cabbage, but for older pullets/chickens.

Another chick, my black australorp, was acting very lethargic and not eating or drinking much when they yesterday, just chirping loudly. I gave them some scrambled egg and she perked up afterward. She seems to be doing just fine now. I was sent a second black australorp chick despite ordering only one, so I'm guessing she acting somewhat under the weather at the hatchery during packing as well.

Could these things possibly be related? The poop is just fine, normal greenish brown from everyone. I was alarmed yesterday that it may be bloody - that EVERYONE'S was bloody - but realized my paper towels were dyed with pink patterns. They're on white now [​IMG]

I have them in an XL plastic dog kennel that I scrubbed THOROUGHLY with lysol before setting up (and rinsed, and sun-dried for hours in the scorching SC sun). They're on 3" horse bedding pine shavings with paper towels over it. I've got a 100 watt incandescent bulb in the heat lamp that they seem to be doing fine with.

I noticed this morning when I woke up that NOBODY was chirping/peeping, but then again it was 7:30am and their big door was covered with a towel to block some light. They're all back to sleep right now after the morning cleaning.

Any ideas for this poor chick? Could she have just been pecked in the ear or is this indicative of something more serious?

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Bump! Has nobody seen anything like this before or have any suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by