2mo chicks eating layer feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2DogsFarm, Oct 25, 2010.

1. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Sigh...they grow up so fast... [​IMG]

My 2mo old chicks have discovered the hens' hanging feeder.
    I tried raising it but they were smart enough to figure out how to perch on the edge so they can get at the layer pellets.

They are still cleaning up their own starter crumbles but apparently the Big Girl Food is soooo yummy!

I'd estimate 99% of the pellets are being eaten by the hens so how bad is it for the chicks to snitch the occasional layer pellet?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2010
  2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The occasional pellet? Probably not too bad at all. As long as they're still tucking into the starter crumbles then they're most likely getting the proper nutrition that they need. At two months old you could probably swap them on to growers pellets now. If it's the pellet size they prefer then that might keep them away from the layers feed.

It IS important to feed them the correct stuff for their age. Layers feed has loads of protein to encourage good egg production and starter crumbles and growers feed (I think!) has less protein but a higher percentage of calcium in it to encourage good growth rates and strong bones in chickens that haven't reached their adult size yet. But there's probably nothing you can do to ensure they don't occasionally snitch some of the wrong food, short of keeping them entirely separate until they're 16 weeks old and pretty much fully grown. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

3. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:chick starter has 24% protein

chick grower has 20% protein

layer pellets have 16-16.5% protein

layer pellets have more calcium --- which is the main reason you don't want chicks eating it until they are old enough --- too much calcium is bad for their kidneys ---

at 8 weeks it *shouldn't* cause problems to be completely switched over - but it is not ideal .... another 8 weeks on a higher protein diet would be better for them in the long run --- more growing potential, and healthier chicks ect.....

my last batch of chicks i switched to lay pellets at around 8-10 weeks old ... they are still fine today --- 5 months later

4. 2DogsFarm

2DogsFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    NW Indiana
    then I won't worry...too much... [​IMG]

I am almost out of starter crumbles & was intending to get grower for them anyhow, so I'll get grower pellets since they seem perfectly capable of eating that shape.

5. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:Ha! I got it the wrong way round. D'oh! Thanks for correcting me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by