2month old chick very very ill....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by akh, Jun 18, 2011.

1. akh

akh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    my two month chick is very very ill. He's had droopy wings for more than a week now, last week he and one other had been aloof and not interested in food, but they got much better, in fact almost normal except for the droopy wings.

Now yesterday he didn't seem interested in food early in the day, preferring to stand in a corner in sunlight, but got better later and was running around and eating. I gave them wholewheat flour dough kneaded with some garlic.

Now again today he didn't come to eat, but today he didn't come at all, now its 5.30pm and he hasn't touched food. His wings are super droopy, and the feathers all ruffled, head sunken in chest. We forced him to drink some water mixed with garlic juice and ACV. Isolated him in the afternoon, the chicks are not used to handling and he too ran around, the only activity he has shown. Their is no blood in the stool, looks more and less normal, though perhaps there is some transparent fluid, tho i don't understand how can be pooping when he hasn't had anything. ?Have kept some yogurt with onions and hard boiled egg yolk in the cardboard box he's in. but he hasn't touched it. stretches his neck and tries to escape whenever anyone comes near.

I am not sure if its cocci coz of no blood, but if it is i dont have access to sulmet or amprol, are there any substitutes?

also there is another chick with droopy wings, but he's eating and drinking normally.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    To my knowledge, cocci doesn't always show a bloody stool. Corid would be the best to battle it.

3. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    You need to treat with corid or sulmet asap. I don't know of anything else that will kill the protozoa. Some folks use powdered milk, yogurt mash, buttermilk and other things to help coat their stomachs (check the other recent threads), but you really need to get the meds into them.

4. akh

akh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    i don't have access to these meds. he didn't eat anything the whole day. tho we did manage to dip his beak in an ACV solution, and he sort if sipped. but he looks so sad and weak and we felt best to leave him alone. I don't know if he will make it through the night. [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    You need to treat for coccidiosis. You can find the meds at a feed store or Tractor supply.
    I don't think dough is good for chickens, try making a wet mash from their crumbles. I would also hold off on the garlic and onions for now.

6. kelar

kelar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    yacolt
    What do you mean when you say you don't have access to the meds? Do you have a feed store where you buy your chicken feed? They usually carry sulmet or corid or sulfadimethoxine. The chick will most likely die without medication.

7. akh

akh Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    he didn't make it. I don't have access meant there is so such store here. Neither chick feed nor meds, I tried asking some chemists if they had any other drug with the same chemical but no one did. i usually feed them what they seem to enjoy. The others look fine.

Around 15 years back my mother had some chicken, layers, and she would feed them dough often. So i do too!

8. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    So sorry to hear he didn't make it [​IMG]: It's probably a good idea to track down the Meds online or via mail order & dose the remaining flock. Xxx

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by