2nd 21 day stretch back to back for broody-will her health take it?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 2overeasy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. 2overeasy

2overeasy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    I posted last week about a cochin hen that went broody. I moved her from a high nest to a box on day 11. I candled them at the same time and gave her the 5 viable eggs, then closed her in a dog crate with food and water. On day 15 I thought she was firmly established so I opened door to kennel. 5 hrs later I found her in the old nesting box and her eggs were cold. At the advice of several of you, I put her back on the eggs and waited. At day 21, nothing. On day 25 - when there was an obvious bad smell coming from the eggs. But she really - and I mean REALLY - wants to set. So, I took the eggs from her, moved her to a large, comfy area all to herself, and gave her 12 fresh eggs to sit on. She went right to it!
    So my question is, will 21 days, on top of 25, of little food and water and exercise, take a toll on her health? I know she wants babies, but I don't want to lose her...
    Thanks!

2. blueberrychickens

blueberrychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Hudson, MA
    I think she'll be just fine, I've got a broody GLW who's been on & off broody since January! I think she was not broody for all of a month this spring. You can try to give her some extra protien treats, yogurt, cheese, meal worms etc.....if it makes you feel better. Good luck w/ your cochin!

3. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Good advice. I would have never thought of protein-type treats. Is flavored yogurt alright, you think?

4. tiffanya

tiffanya Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Thanks for posting this. I too have been wondering the same thing. Have a broody due to hatch eggs this week. She's down to 3 so if none hatch I'd like to put more under her for a second try.

5. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    Well, maybe we'll get some more responses, tiffanya. I hope so, although the protein is a good idea. What kind of hen do you have? Mine is a cochin which are notoriously frequent brooders. One website even says that they are "annoyingly so!" She's determined, that's for sure.[​IMG]

6. tiffanya

Jul 10, 2010
    Mine's a BO. This is her first time being broody as she's only a year old. I have fed her random worms and things in her nest, though she was leaving once a day to eat etc. until recently. I feed cat food sometimes in the winter for extra protein.

7. 2overeasy

May 28, 2010
    Birchwood, TN
    My first hen to go broody this season is a BO, too. She was also a year old. She hatched 5 chicks and was an awesome momma. She weaned them around 4 weeks and began laying again right away! I thought it was supposed to take a little while for them to go back to egg laying... Anyway, the chicks are now 7 weeks old and very independent, more so than the 9 week old chicks I ordered from MPC and raised in the brooder. They are scared of everything! I hope you get your babies. If these don't hatch out and she still wants to sit, I guess give her more. So far, no one is telling us different!

8. tiffanya

Jul 10, 2010
    Sounds good to me! Haha right now I have lots of options. After my BO went broody so did my Cayuga duck, then this week one of my EEs did too! My BO is on two chicken eggs and 1 duck. My duck is on one duck egg (lost the other 3) and my EE is on golf balls currently! [​IMG]. I'm using her as a back up for the time being.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by