2nd attack on same

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nwoods01, Jul 26, 2011.

1. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    I have a small flock of 6 adult hens 1 adult rir roo. This spring I got a variety of chicks to add to the flock, 1 of the chicks is a Delaware this chick was about 3 mo's old and I introduced her and 3 other chicks to the flock. At first there was a ruckus but they calmed after a while and seemed to be fine in there own group. A couple weeks later I found the delaware chicken laying in the coop with the back of her head and neck area tore open I thought it was the roo trying to mate her. I seperated her for a long time the wound healed nicely. I seperated the roo from the flock to prevent anything else. Yesterday I reintroduced the delaware to the flock, today I came home and the delaware had been attacked again with the same results, since roo was out of the picture it had to be a hen. I let htem all out to free range and watched most of my chickens take turns chasing the delaware chicken, I know have moved back to isolation. What is going on and why?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. hallerlake

hallerlake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Seattle
    She doesn't have a place in the pecking order. She's a stranger. Do you have a dog crate or something you could put her in so they can get to know each other without being able to touch each other? Try a week of that, and then introduce her at night.

3. nwoods01

nwoods01 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2011
    Last night after all the other birds were in the coop roosting I put her in. The other birds have been around her as they free range almost everyday of course she is usually alone or under the deck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by