2nd Attempt at Hatching Bobwhites...

Discussion in 'Quail' started by bietsch624, Jun 8, 2011.

1. bietsch624

bietsch624 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    [​IMG]

So happy..they've started to hatch. I thought I heard peeping last night..then I thought it was just my imagination. So stinking cute.

2. _Randall_

_Randall_ Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2009
    Grenada, Ms
    Quote:Yep, they're cute when they're newborns, but there's a time-released chemical located in the depths of each and every Bob's blood stream that's called "Terrorist-Mycin". It lies dormant at first birth, and is gradually released in violent dosages as these birds become "weeks-old" instead of "days-old". Be expecting to experience signs of Terrorist-Mycin at work in your new batch of "cutties"..... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. bietsch624

Nov 28, 2008
    I've had two hatch now and it's day 22. I have one zipping (all day long..actually the first and I still see signs of life even though two others hatched first). There are a couple other pipping.

We got the batch I am hatching these from two seasons ago and I am shocked how merciless the females are this time of year. We've had two killed by the females in the past two years and one pecked so badly that we took her out from the group.. I did remove the offender at JJ's suggestion into her own coop and placed a male in there with her. She hasn't been a problem since, but we had a maled killed since then. They can be brutal!

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:WELCOME TO BOB SCHOOL.... HARD TO BELIEVE SOMETHING SO MAJESTIC AND BEAUTIFUL IS ACTUALLY A PIT BULL CRAMMED INTO A LIL FEATHER SUIT ISNT IT? [​IMG]

GLAD YOU GOT THE EVIL LIL PROBLEM WENCH... ER AH I MEAN PRECIOUS LIL MISUNDERSTOOD DEAR SORTED OUT [​IMG]

THEY REALLY SHOULD COME WITH WARNING LABELS "DOES NOT PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS"

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Almost Forgot... Sending Good Hatch Vibes Your Way [​IMG]

6. bietsch624

Nov 28, 2008
    Thanks for the well wishes...I have one that has been trying to hatch all day...hope it makes it out. How long should it take them to dry out once they've hatched...I'm wondering if my humidity is too high...

7. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Cute! Good Luck with the rest of the hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by