2nd attempt at hatching........

matt1898

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Broadway, NC
I'm excited. Out of 18 eggs, at least 13 of them are growing!!!!!!!!!!! They have been in the incubator a week, I just candled them and blood vessels galore!!!! I'm using one of those Little Giant incubator from TS. This time(last batch, some started then quickly died) I'm keeping the humidity higher and the temps a few degrees warmer(around 102). So far so good. I'm still a newbie at this and probably don't have all of the proper equipment.

This is a GLW/White leghorn cross. All of the eggs are bred with a Golden Laced wyandotte roo. The hens vary from leghorn, silver laced, black sex link, RIR, buff orpington, and red sex links.

The remaining eggs are either on fertile, or too dark of a shell for me to really see anything yet.

You're doing great! This is definitely a good sign
smile.png
A glw and leghorn cross? That would be an interesting mix to see. I'm quite curious.

I'm sure I could find the answer if I searched, but asking is quicker
wink.png
... what is the red ring of death??? I'm hatching for the first time (I'm on day 5) and would like to know what it is for future reference. Thanks!

Chicks are cute as buttons!!! Love them!

I'm sure I could find the answer if I searched, but asking is quicker
wink.png
... what is the red ring of death??? I'm hatching for the first time (I'm on day 5) and would like to know what it is for future reference. Thanks!

Chicks are cute as buttons!!! Love them!

It is a blood ring that forms around the embryo when it stops growing for whatever reason. It is pretty obvious during candling, you see a red line going all the way around the outside of yolk sac, I think.

Back
Top Bottom