2nd attempt with Marans Dec. 3 hatch anyone want to join? (oops dec.6)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mstricer, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Okay I set my 18 Maran eggs in bator on Sunday. This will be my 2nd attempt for Marans, The eggs I got from bargin, I only got one baby out of 6. Sorry Nancy. It was my fault had a hugh spike with humidity at around day 17. I'm going with dry hatch method this time, and moved bator to lower level of our house. I dont know how it will go, Its what the girls at the Marans table explained to me I looked it up and found a good web page explaining it, so thats what I'm going with. I hope trying the different methods will help me learn which will will best practice with my Marans project.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  2. chayton

chayton Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2009
    Weatherford, TX
    I'm at day 12 in my hatch and I have 15 Marans. I have been keeping the humidity at 50-60%. After reading your post I am concerned that maybe I have been dong something wrong concerning the humidity.

Should I not be keeping it that high, all I have read on this site is 50-60%.

Feedback will be appreciated

3. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Hey mstricer I will join You I have some B/B/S JG eggs due and some B/B GC eggs due also on the 3rd.I am giving my new Dickey incubator its first run and my first try at my cochin eggs and their fertility so here we go!!! Your eggs look Awesome good luck!! [​IMG]

4. kcravey

kcravey Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2009
    East Texas
    Ill join you also! I have my first "shipped" eggs on the way today! They are Wheaten Marans. Good luck to us alll!!!

5. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I dont know which is right, my first attempt only got one baby out of 6. Which is low so I thought I'd try a try something different. I found an article about it and will try I hope all goes well with its going . Good luck with your hatch I dont think you should change anything now. Go Baby Marans.

6. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:mahalo4 great same day. I got my Marans eggs at the National Polutry Show in Ohio. 18 of them. I love the sound of baby Marans song. [​IMG]

7. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Yeah Its turning out Marans babys everywhere.

8. mahalo4

mahalo4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2009
    Gilbert,AZ
    Well can't wait to candle on thursday and see how many are fertile good luck to everyone hope we get some more hatchers!!! [​IMG]

9. mstricer

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    mahalo4, what are you using to candle, Last hatch i wasnt able to see anything until day 10

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:I received 2 Wheaten Marans eggs as a gift a month or more ago now. I could see the air cell and veining on day 10 really well with a dark room and a small mag flashlight from Lowes. 1 had a ruptured air cell but the other developed and hatched. I have a lovely Wheaten Marans pullet!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by