2nd chick has pipped. does this look normal? *pic* plz look!

8silkies

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
yesterday was day 21 and only one out of 8 chicks hatched. however, we had been hearing pips all last night, but saw no cracks. but just a second ago i noticed a small crack in one of the 7 eggs still in the incubator. but there is something comeing out of the crack that looks sort of gooey. please look at the picture and let me know what you think this is. i thought it might be some of the yolk that wasn't absorbed or maybe the chicks beak. let me know what you think. thanks!

27362_100_1071.jpg

i know its sort of small, but its the best i could get. maybe you could save it to your pics and then enlarge it to view it better.

the egg i am talking about is the egg beside all of the cracked egg peices. it is a speckled egg.

Last edited:
Sorry, can't see anything gooey
Can you give more description? I'm sure someone will have ideas.

Is it sort of yellow and sticky?
bubbling?
Is there a pip?
does it keep oozing or just the once?

If the chick pipped and then fluid came out, it has some kind of liquid in there with it
so breathing might be a problem (too much humidity) or the yolk is pierced (I read that sometimes that happens from their feet) or it is a little bleeding (could be normal)

but all that is from what I have read on this board
you need someone who actually knows

Give more details, the pic is just too small and nothing can be seen.

no it's not bubbling, and it is not continually oozing out or anything. it more like a light cream or white, not yellow like yolk. the humidity is at 69% so i dont think humidity is a problem. and it's definatey not blood.

any other ideas? i am going to try to get the picture enlarged a bit.

the chick is rocking noticably in the egg now. i think it might actually be its beak poking out. i hope.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom