2nd Chicken dead... WHY?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mycookoonest, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

We lost our 2nd chicken (mixed breed) to an unknown cause. DH said she was fine Monday and when he went out to collect the eggs last night she was dead. No sign of injury. But we were getting some double yolkers for a while. I'm not sure if she got eggbound or what.

What should I look for. I am praying that this doesn't happen again. How can I prevent them from getting egg bound?

2. LoveKhlassy

LoveKhlassy Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    [​IMG] [​IMG] I don't know. Were they chicks? this summer we had 20 chicks and only 8 survived to be grown-ups.

3. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    She'd be a year old in June.

The more I look into it I think she may have been egg bound. Although she showed no outward distress that we saw. It's a mystery. I just don't want to lose another one.

4. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    Does your coop have good ventilation? Are there any drafts you could find? My sister lost one of her Australorps this winter to seemingly unknown causes but her coop wasn't well ventilated (which she has since changed). I think this had something to do with the fatality.

If your girl sat in a drafty place she may have become to cold to move. Chickens can handle cold as long as its dry and not drafty.

5. gordy123

gordy123 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2009
    falls village, ct
    perhaps they have a calcium deficiency? that is usually the cause of being egg bound. good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by