2nd Chicken Dead!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phelpcd1, Aug 9, 2013.

1. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    What the heck!!! I've now lost my 2nd chicken in just over 2 weeks. And these were my strongest 2. Lucy was acting weird and died within 24 hours of when I noticed she wasn't "right", but we found Thelma dead outside the coop this morning. She was FINE yesterday!! No symptoms that we noticed. It has been HOT here in TX but I still have 2 other chickens that seem normal as of now. She must have died during the night and we can't see anything obvious. What on earth could be happening? My 2 weaker chickens that are left don't show any abnormal signs at all............matter of fact, they went over to Thelma and were looking at her to see what was going on!

We do use electrolytes in their water during this heat too and they have plenty of shade!

2. phelpcd1

phelpcd1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Does anyone know of what the chickens could get a hold of that is poisonous? And if poisoned, what are symptoms and how long could they live etc.? We are still not convinced that a neighbor didn't poison them with something........someone complained to the city we had a rooster (which of course we don't), then a few weeks later, the back of our fence is kicked in in 3 different spots, the following day Lucy is acting strange and dies, then 2 weeks later Thelma is found dead and showed no signs of disease or illness. It's just strange! If another dies, and we catch it before she is totally stiff, I'd like to find a vet who can figure out what the issue is.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Heat can and does kill chickens. Some symptoms of heat stroke/stress are hard panting,lethargic,not eating/drinking,confused, and finally collapse. Chickens cannot tolerate heat,some breeds less than others. They have no sweat glands they rely on their respiratory system to cool themselves down. If any chickens show signs of heat stress,immediately submerge them into a pail of COOL(NOT COLD,this will SHOCK them)water up to their neck,this will immediately drop their body temp and has the potential to save their life.

4. caligirl63

caligirl63 New Egg

Feb 9, 2013
    I have lost three this summer. I have not used electrolytes, so thinking I should. They all seem to have the same symptoms: they are fine, then seem to become floppy. Once they are floppy, within a day, they can't walk. They still eat and drink, but within a day are gone. I am a newbie, so any advice would be appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by