1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2nd dose of ivermectin after piperazine?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovemy6hens, Nov 11, 2015.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    We gave our chickens piperazine then followed with ivermectin 10 days later. Do we give them ivermectin again after 10 days or are they done with worming medicine until next time with something other than ivermectin?

2. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012

Ivermectin is not an effective poultry wormer. You'd be better off using Valbazen or Safeguard.

-Kathy

3. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
  4. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Correct, just too late now. So we shouldn't bother with a second dose?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Did they have worms?

-Kathy

6. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Round worms in droppings. Unsure if I could identify other worms except possibly tapeworms; have not seen anything that looks like tapeworms or tapeworm segments.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    Cecal worms are very small, and capillary are even smaller, so it was probably large roundworms.

-Kathy

8. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Should we give them a different wormer at 10 days after ivermectin or wait a few months before starting something that treats all worms (including tapeworms)?

What we've done: Piperazine, 10 days later ivermectin. Is there supposed to be a second dose of ivermectin at 10 days? If so, should we give them something else at 10 days past ivermectin if they've already had piperazine 10 days before the ivermectin? What if they have tapeworms?

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if clarification is needed.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  9. NanaKat

NanaKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I worm twice a year. One of those times is during molt when egg production is already reduced.
    The first worming dose I use is either Valbasen, piperazine or Safeguard. I vary the first dose because I don't want there to be an immunity to the wormer to develop in the parasites..
    I then worm with Ivermectin as the second worming agent. 1cc on the back of the neck for each adult large fowl and 1/2 cc for a 4 month or younger large fowl or for an adult Bantam. The reason for using it as the second wormer is that the Ivomec with kill multiple varieties of parasites at the same time, flooding the digestive system with the toxins of the dead worms/eggs. This can be hard on your poultry. As a second wormer, I do not repeat the Ivomec again after 10 days.

If you are still seeing round worms in the loafs, then a third worming might be called for.

10. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by