2nd egg crushed on its side, blood visible--I just saw the broody doing it.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yeye5, May 4, 2017.

1. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    I have several new broodies sitting presently.
    A hatch that completes 21 days tomorrow at 11 a.m. has one egg that (by the looks of it) must have collided with another egg. That's what I'm guessing. I picked up the broody a couple of inches off the eggs to see if any had pipped. I saw the dented side of the egg and blood.
    In short, if there is something I can do to raise the chance of survival I will do it. If it's just not possible I'll be sad but I know these things happen.
    This is obviously a very immediate situation so I'm posting in hopes that someone who has this knowlege might see this.
    Thanks in either case.

2. Erka97

Erka97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2017
    I had a dented egg once but there was no blood, it was fine and lived a week like that until it hatched, however I had another that died from that. I'd say leave it be for now and help it to hatch if it seems to need it and survives to that point.

3. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Thanks. I appreciate the fast reply. I have to glue myself down to avoid going to look every 2 seconds. The amount of blood is what has me very concerned. But I suspect that if I do anything right now, I'll make it worse.

4. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Well, that was a lost cause, not that I'm surprised but I checked and the egg was worse smashed, chick dead. I may have made a mistake in trying to remove the remains of that whole mess bcs I removed it and turned my back a second to dispose of it away from the coop (so as not to attract predators). I returned to find another egg smashed--at it's the broody who was doing it. I saw her pecking at it, saw the same things, blood etc.
    So now I seem to have a new problem!
    I don't have an incubator, no back-up method at all.
    I'm worried that Antonia (broody) is flipping out and destroying the eggs. Don't know why since they are just nearly ready to hatch if they survive her.
    Ideas?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by