1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2nd molt?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rudyk, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Rudyk

Rudyk New Egg

May 28, 2013
    We had an early cold snap a couple of weeks ago here in BC, with temperatures going down to -15 C for a week or so. Four of my girls pretty much just stayed in the coop. They don't seem to like snow. My fifth bird is an Icelandic hen so she was happy making snow angels. Two of my hens (rhode isl red and australorp) laid eggs daily during the cold even though they stayed indoors. When it warmed up, they all ventured outdoors except for the rhode isl red. She has stopped laying, sits in the coop all day, and today I noticed feathers all over the place. My question is, is it normal for another molt (she molted in Sept/Oct) especially after a really cold snap? Should I be concerned? I expect more cold weather coming up.

Any advice much appreciated.

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. Rudyk

Rudyk New Egg

May 28, 2013
    This behaviour is quite different then when she has gone broody in the past (she goes broody a couple of times a year). She is up on her roost, not nesting like she normally does when she is broody. And other times she has never lost feathers while broody.

Having said that, she was sitting on a couple of eggs for longer than normal the day of her last egg. Hmmm, maybe you are right, but it doesn't look or feel like her normal broodiness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by