2nd morning of finding blood on shavings and in poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kimbymarie, Oct 2, 2011.

1. kimbymarie

kimbymarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Ok, 2nd morning that i have now found blood shavings and poop in the coop after the second night of roosting. I think from what I've read it could be coccidisos. I'm in a panic. I have six hens that are six months old. I think I may see a bit of blooding looking streak on one of the hens. I don't know for sure. I started putting sulmet in there drinking water 2 tlbs to one gallon. Hopefully that helps. Is this something that can be passed on to a human, and also how do I treat the whole area they use. Thank you Kim

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Coccidia cannot be passed to humans. However, remember biosecurity. For example; you dont want to step on infected fecal matter and carry it to another area where you have healthy chickens and infect the soil there. Use ammonia water to clean waterers, feeders, roosts etc...bleachwater is ineffective against the cocci protozoa.

3. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Thank you for the advise, I would like to know what do I do about the soil in the outside pen area and in the coop run. How do I treat the contaminated soil?

4. kimbymarie

Apr 18, 2011
    Central Massachusetts
    Also please I caught my dog eating some chicken poo can a dog get coccidious

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Cocci are always present in soil (as well as other things.) You can add sand to your pen/run to help cut back the presence of cocci, but it wont completely eliminate them. Sand helps keep everything dry...that is the key. Sand quickly absorbs water as you know, and dries quicker than dirt/mud.

6. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    Your dog is fine, coccidia is species specific.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by