2nd night out....1 chick missing!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TheJuan-n-Only, Jul 15, 2011.

1. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    So last night was the bird's 2nd night out on the coop. The 1st night they were all huddled together on a corner of the run that gets wet when it rains, so I picked them up I put them in the coop/roost. Last night my DF and I went to the comedy club and when we got home I decided to go check on the chicks to make sure they were on a good spot....they were huddled together under the ramp in the run....ok That's better...but I still put them up in the coop/roost, just to get them used to sleeping in there.

So I put them all up, did a quick head count and I was missing one. I checked under the ramp again and nothing, I did a second head count on the roost and, yup only 6...and just when I was about to start freaking out I looked up and to the right from the roost and there was my 5 week old RIR, Minerva, roosting on a "rafter". [​IMG] The 1st night I saw her in the same spot after I put all the girl up in the roost, so last night she went up there all by herself!!! [​IMG]

8' worth of roost with at least 2' of head room and she crams up there hahahahaha

So much research on roost and how much head room to leave on the roost....and all for nothing! hahahahaha

[​IMG]

sorry about the quality of the pic but I took it with my cell...and I did have a few drinks at the comedy club! lol

2. Poppafrog

Poppafrog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Horn Lake MS
    [​IMG] thats funny. [​IMG] is King of the mountain!

3. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:sure she/he feel that way I guess! lol not sure what she/he is going to do when it grows a little more....that is a very tight space! lol

4. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Well, that's your brightest chicken! At least she figured out how to roost and found a safe place. LOL

5. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:She/he has been the "smart one" since day one...that's why I called her Minerva - Roman Goddess of wisdom, crafts, and war.... I guess she is taking her name very seriously!!!! [​IMG]

6. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    >_<
    That's adorable.
    I'm just so glad she wasn't actually missing. I was ready to bust out the sad faces and encouraging words!

I have a D'uccle like that. She will not sleep with anyone! Every night she rounds the 8 week chicks up. She doesn't go to her spot until everyone is in and situated. She's a bit crazy....but I really do think she is smarter than most everyone else.

7. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    Quote:I'm about to go out see where are they sleeping...let's see if she makes it 3 for 3 nights! lol

8. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Quote:I'm about to go out see where are they sleeping...let's see if she makes it 3 for 3 nights! lol

Let us know! I just went out to tuck my birds in. [​IMG] Millie is in her secret spot keeping watch over everyone.
    Your bird gets much bigger and she'll be stuck! >_<

9. TheJuan-n-Only

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    YUP!!!! 3 for 3...she was on the same spot.....2 were sleeping on the floor of the coop (that I don't mind) and 4 others were roosting, hmmmm, but not on the roost...they were roosting on a plywood I have covering the bottom of the coop so they don't go under the coop yet. I wont open that bottom until they are used to going in the coop at night...I dont feel like crawling down there to get the at night! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by