2nd post - Best Flooring Material for Coop in the Winter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ourlittleflock, Sep 29, 2010.

1. ourlittleflock

ourlittleflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG]

We are getting everything in order for winterizing our new coop - we have a clear coroplast material (kinda like greenhouse material) coming to enclose the coop to keep draft out. BUT I need to figure out what is best for the flooring - right not I am using straw and cleaning once a month. Is there anything better for the winter - I know their poop provides heat but what can I leave down for several months and not get so messy or stinky..

thanks for any advice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2010
  2. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    anyone?

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    How about 1/4 inch. pea gravel and then sand?

4. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky
    Quote:Pine shavings are much cleaner and sweeter smelling than straw..and much easier to keep clean...just rake weekly to keep it dry. It doesn't need to be thoroughly cleaned very often..unlike straw.
    Is your coop made of Cedar?? Did you know that Cedar is toxic to chickens?? It may be ok just using Cedar for a building..but I wouldn't do it.
    Perhaps someone else can clarify that aspect.

5. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:I have that in the run - what about the individual sections?

6. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Pine shavings are much cleaner and sweeter smelling than straw..and much easier to keep clean...just rake weekly to keep it dry. It doesn't need to be thoroughly cleaned very often..unlike straw.
    Is your coop made of Cedar?? Did you know that Cedar is toxic to chickens?? It may be ok just using Cedar for a building..but I wouldn't do it.

I was think pine shaving but not sure how they would hold up if they got wet? will the clump together and not dry out?

yes the other whole coop with cedar but it is completely open and the wood has had its "cure" no strong odors - everyone has been fine since spring even using their huddle boxes in the summer (they do have treated wood where they perch and sleep)- I think you just get the issue with the cedar chips. - I would highly recommend building an open coop out of cedar - it will last forever.

7. spydertoys

spydertoys Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Munfordville, Kentucky

I was think pine shaving but not sure how they would hold up if they got wet? will the clump together and not dry out?

yes the other whole coop with cedar but it is completely open and the wood has had its "cure" no strong odors - everyone has been fine since spring even using their huddle boxes in the summer (they do have treated wood where they perch and sleep)- I think you just get the issue with the cedar chips. - I would highly recommend building an open coop out of cedar - it will last forever.

Call me a "Chicken"..but I wouldn't chance it..it is a beautiful coop though!

8. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I think wood shavings are the warmest bedding you can use in the winter. Just do a search here on "deep litter method." I have sand in my coop and it's a cold substrate for winter...but our winters here are very mild, so that's not a problem for me.

Unless you use aromatic cedar (like the kind they use for cedar closets), cedar fencing and boards are fine to use in your chicken coop. No cedar odor? No problem.

However, I myself would not use treated wood for a roost. The chemicals used to make the wood rot resistant could over time possibly irritate the skin on a chicken's feet, and they're roosting on it all night every night. I use plain, untreated boards, with the edges sanded down for roosts, and sometimes natural tree branches.

9. ourlittleflock

May 28, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:thank you will do

10. MeettheFlockers

MeettheFlockers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I agree on the pine shavings-- they work wonderful during the winter. I use the deep liter method adding in stall dry or sweet pdz and it keeps it very fresh.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by