2nd pullet egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by horsewishr, Sep 13, 2007.

1. horsewishr

horsewishr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    I got my 2nd egg today! It's exactly the same size, shape, and color as the first. Is it likely from the same hen? Or do the eggs start to get bigger right away? I have four hens, and they're all 22.5 weeks, so they're all "due."

2. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    [​IMG]
    I got 2 eggs today. One from Boo (Barred Rock) and the other was laid out in the middle of the chicken yard. It was blue but I don't think it was Purdy (EE) this time. I think it was a different EE because Purdy has laid in the nest box twice and this egg had a bit of blood on it...it was also a little bigger than Purdy's eggs and a slightly different shade of blue.

So lets see, 5 days and 7 eggs!!!!

Isn't this fun horsewishr??!!??!!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2007
  3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My Barred Rock pullet Amanda laid her first a little while ago. The entire chicken yard is nuts today! I never heard so much cackling in my life and that includes the roosters!

4. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Quote:It IS!!!! I'm such a bad mom, though. My son wanted to check the nest after school--and I couldn't wait! He can do it this weekend!

Here's the new egg:
    [​IMG]

And the pair compared to large grocery store eggs:
    [​IMG]

5. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    OMG--I just went out to give the girls a treat, and my Barred Rock is in the nest. Maybe John will get to "discover" one after all!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    Sure 'nuf, the Barred Rock did it, too! [​IMG]

Three pullet eggs in two days. [​IMG] The BR's egg is longer and narrower than the first two eggs. So I'm guessing the first two both came from the RIR.

I told my son that we may have all for laying by the weekend. He says he's gonna sleep in the coop this weekend so he can tell whose egg is whose. [​IMG]

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, my pullet egg from my BR was long and narrow,too, see?

[​IMG]

8. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    I just got another one! 3 for today. One was from a new girl. So that's 20 more pullets to go. [​IMG]

9. horsewishr

Jul 7, 2007
    West Michigan
    [​IMG] It's a big day for the Forum!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by