2nd round what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhd077, Mar 27, 2011.

1. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    Well my 1st hatch was a disaster! I stated with 17 eggs...lose one to a bloodring. One pipped and never did anything else and the rest i found were dead on day 25. So this is what I did last time and what I'm going to do this next time. All advise it welcomed!!

1st hatch

-a still air lg bator
    -auto egg turner till day 18
    -1 red vent plug out day 1-18
    -temp was 99-100 (there were times when it went up and down a little, but i am a stay at home mom so i checked on it ALL the time lol)
    -humidity day 1-18 i have no idea i added water every other day or every couple days. Figured out my hydrometer and on day 18 got my humidity up to 61%-63% when i put the red vent plug half over the vent hole and add water everyday sometimes more than once a day. Also had 1 1/2 cut up sponges in there to help with humidity.
    - placed eggs on the wire day 18

Plans for next hatch

-get a fan for my still air lg
    -auto egg turner
    -find a new place for the bator (first time it was in the laundry room right around the corner from the back door)
    -thinking of trying a dry incubation. Use paper towel in the little water things and over the wire to help keep up humidity
    -taking out both vent plugs on day 18 like the book to the bator says!!
    -using a couple of fish themometers

What do ya think??
    -egg carton instead of on the wire on day 18

2. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Sounds like your temps & humidity were good. Maybe it was the door? Too much cold air swirling around. You shouldn't need a fan - these bators have been hatching a long time.

If they made it to the end then you had an issue at the end. If the humidity was too high during the first 2 weeks then maybe not enough water evaporated from the eggs? Then laying them down caused them to drown? I'm guessing.

I use the carton method - has always worked. But honestly I don't know that it made any difference in the hatch rate.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I agree with the poster above. I think your humidity was too high early on. If too little water eveporates from the egg, the chicks drown.

4. redhd077

redhd077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    south eastern, ID
    I don't think the humidity was to high because i add water every other or every 2 days and had one plug out for the first part and then at the end i had to put my vent half covered and added a bunch of sponges. i dont know maybe that was it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by