2nd sick chicken...... Anybody have an idea....quickly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StormyRidgeChixLady, Oct 26, 2010.

1. StormyRidgeChixLady

StormyRidgeChixLady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2009
    [​IMG] Last week I posted about a chicken that I had that was 4mos old, laying down all the time, when she tried to walk she would be off balance and fall forward. It came on in 24hrs. I thought worms, so I wormed everyone and she died that night. Everyone has seemd fine til last night, I saw one laying down when the rest werent thought it was weird but she got up and took off fine. This morning everyone came out of the house but her she was laying down again. But when I went in, she got up and left, now with ruffled feathers and a throwing her wing out for balance. She picked around like she wanted to eat but didnt really eat. I seperated her, she has good weight, no lice, not egg bound, 4 mos old like the other hen, same group but different breed. Lots of spunk still when I pick her up, but I can catch her easily which is not normal. She is walking some still picking @ grass. Lays down with wings down, tailfeathers are up sometimes, down sometimes. I gave her ACV water she took a sip, medicated chic feed, and an egg/yogurt/pumpkin seed mix which she has eaten none of. Anybody have any idea what this maybe? Is it possible she didnt get enough wormer last week, maybe I should hand worm her with safeguard? I went to town and bought Duramycin, but I really down think its upper resp bc she has no symptoms, and I bought a vitamin/electrolyte supplement to give after the antibiotic. HELP!!!!! [​IMG]

Amber

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    It could be poison. Do they free range? Another thing that comes to mind is, is there any old food laying around where they can peck at it? That can make them act as you described.

3. grassfedeggs

grassfedeggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 31, 2010
    So sorry! It's so frustrating when you don't know what is wrong. I have a 4 month old BR that has had really bad symptoms of Marek's for the last week. She's still hanging on but barely. Now two others are limping, and laying down a lot. I hope that you find out what is wrong soon. I'm treating mine as if they do have Marek's. Your situation sounds a little different, I hope it isn't anything serious.

4. StormyRidgeChixLady

Jul 27, 2009
    No, They are not free ranging right now. I have some small 2 mo olds and alot of cats, so they have all been locked to a house and pen/yard for a few months. I only give them enough food for the day so that they get fresh food everyday. I do give them scraps from the house, no onions, peppers, etc. Are their foods that are poisonous to chickens? Its just weird, bc I bought 10 chics in July and they both are from that group, of course this could just be the beginning, gosh i hope not.

5. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My Belle chicken got sick a few months back with a very similar sounding condition- she'd just lay down, she was exhausted, very easy to catch and seemed to be getting weaker fast. I brought her into the house and did a molasses flush in case it was a poison. Once I was sure she was hydrated, I started her on some sulfa and she perked up within 48 hrs. I think it was coccidia, apparently it can occur without the bloody stool.

6. StormyRidgeChixLady

Jul 27, 2009
    Thanks for the responses. She is laying down more and wings are drooping more. I had her laying beside her food and water all day and she barely ate. I picked up her food and carried her in the other hand to bring her into the house for the night because its been getting chilly, and she started eating right away. She ate as I carried her.....which is weird since she isnt used to being handled. She has been eating ever since!!! She ate all the way to the house, i held her a bit and she ate, and I put her in a cage under a light so she would continue to have 'daylight' to encourage her to continue to eat, while I checked my posts and she is still eating!! Good sign anyway! Soooooo, I think I will give her the vitamin/electrolyte mix instead of antibiotics, until maybe Teamchaos you can tell me what is a molasses flush, I have molasses. Thanks so much!

Amber

7. StormyRidgeChixLady

Jul 27, 2009
    Her poop is really watery. Is this just a sign of not eating much or an illness?

8. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    I am having a similar issue as well, but I too am treating as though she has Marek's, although I cannot say with 100% certainty that that is what is wrong. I started the Hypericum treatment this afternoon, putting us at day 5 of showing symptoms, so I hope I didn't wait too long. My only options were watch her waste away and cry whenever I thought about it, put her down...or tough up and try something, anything if it may help. You can use CORID, if you think it may be Cocciodosis, is she real fluffed up and mostly interested in staying put instead of scratching and pecking around like normal? I have used Corid for cocci with great success and fast results. If she has diarhea, yes probably a sign of illness, but it's a symptom in pratically every illness I have heard of....unless she has been drinking a bunch of water, that can cause watery poo.

9. StormyRidgeChixLady

Jul 27, 2009
    Good Luck with your chicken! I hope it works. I will see if my feed store has corid. i'll let all know 2maro how she is doing! Thanks!

10. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    My Belle had watery poop- kept waiting for the blood but thankfully there never was any.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by