2nd Sick Chicken With Air Bloating

Rhcecil

Songster
Jul 16, 2019
Taylorsville, KY
Last week we lost a Rhode Island Red, who had been sick with other issues most of her adult life. We figured it was genetics. She was lethargic, and breathing heavy, and when examined she had a very bloated belly....but not like a water balloon as many other threads and websites describe. It felt like a balloon full of air, not fluid inside.

Well, we just discovered a Barred Rock with the same symptoms. She will be 3 years old in May, and has been the perfect example of a healthy chicken. Not obese. Free ranges. Plenty of space, not crowded at all. She has plenty of clean food and water. She is opening her mouth with every breath. No bleeding. No signs of broken bones. Pine chip bedding and some straw, clean coop.

We did watch her poop. Her poop did seem like it may have had a little yellow in it, but it was faint and hard to see if it was yolk, or maybe some grub she ate.

Our intent is to save her as long as it is practical.

Sorry, no pictures, she looks normal from the outside.

Can you get a video of her actions? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
Photos of her and her poop may be helpful as well.

Is she able to eat or drink?
Have you looked inside her beak for any canker, lesions, obstruction, etc.?
Does she have bloat/fluid or air in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

Do you feel any air bubbles or bulges under the skin, especially in the location of her air sacs (see photo below).
Have you ever dewormed your flock or treated for a respiratory illness?

1640666188274.png
1640666201743.png

Right now her breathing is normal. She looks like she is egg bound. I have given her 3 warm epsom salt baths. I have stuck my finger in her vent with Mineral oil. I can not feel an egg in there and she poops a bunch very liquidy when I do that. I have given her some extra calcium today. I fixed her eggs (her favorite treat). And she downed those with no problem. She is swollen in the area between her legs and her vent is constantly moving up and down. She also is drinking fine as well.

Last edited:
We hate seeing her like this and if there is a easy fix that would help her please let us know. Seems so odd we just lost one a week ago with the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom