2nd time around... rooster or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by megg0602, Aug 6, 2013.

1. megg0602

megg0602 Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    ok, so a couple weeks ago I had a similar post re: a black copper maran. It did turn out to be a roo :(

Well, the other day, my bf thought he heard one of our chickens make a crowing sound, but wasn't sure. This morning I woke up to crowing coming out of the coop....but none while myself or my bf was out with them.

A little background..... as I am extremely discouraged now...

We ordered our chicks online at a "nearby" farm, that is an hour and a half away. But the website was wonderful, clear and easy and the place looked great. I ordered 6 sexed (egg layer) chicks. After 2 emails about delayed hatching it was finally the night before pick-up! Then I got it.... another email stating that only 2 of my choices hatched. They were short with numbers again. But the girl emailed me promptly back and forth all night regarding taking extra hatches instead. one of which was one that I had originally ordered, but I brushed it off thinking that she just made a mistake because it was such a busy hatching time. It still worked out great. My bf went and picked them up. All were healthy and cute! And I thought it was really great that she was up late keeping in contact with me and worked to get 6 chicks still.

Fast forward- one turns out to be a black copper maran instead of a cuckoo maran. That's fine, but then it turned out to be a roo. While at the farm to do a swap, there was a chicken that looked just like my (supposed to be) Coronation Sussex. I knew it wasn't because it didn't have the colorations of the coronation. Upon asking, it was a Cornish rock...again, wrong chick that was not ordered...
    And to top things off, they didn't have any pullets or even hens I could buy, to replace my roo :(
    So with an empty heart of having to give my little "Nell" away, we left for a long ride home empty handed.

So now you may be able to really understand my frustration and upset demeanor in this post- but yet again another issue!

Can I get your honest opinions once more on these pics below? I am questioning the Cornish Rock and the Americauna. The Cornish Rock was the one that my bf thought he heard the other day. The Americauna- I'm just not sure what a young roo or hen is supposed to look like? They are all 10 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sorry for the not so great quality pics- I was trying to get quick ones before my battery died. If you think I need more clear ones or close ups I'll get some more!

thank you all so much!!

2. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Isn't a cornish rock a meat chicken?

Anyway, I think what you are calling an Americana is really an Easter Egger. It's not a purebred bird, but rather, a cross breed. And, the coloring of it is a little reddish, which indicates rooster. Look at it's comb, see if it has 3 rows of bumps, that's another indicator.

Your Rock also seems to have red in it's shoulders. Is it possible that it could be a male sex link, did they offer "red sex links"?

3. megg0602

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    Yes, that's what I have read about the Cornish Rocks... which makes it even more irritating because she knew I wanted birds for eggs...

I'll have to check the bumps. I did read that but it seemed to have like 5 bumps all in one row? Are they separate rows or separate bumps?

And as far as I know-they do not carry any sex links at all. But who knows! I feel like I've been taken on a drive because I'm new to chickens... but I do my research! I really feel she had the mentality of "throw anything in there" and didn't even bother to sex them. I mean, the breeds are wrong and now I have a second roo out of only 6 chicks! [​IMG]

4. RedPulletMama

RedPulletMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2013
    I am absolutely certain that the last 4 pics are a roo. They rest look like pullets. Sorry this happened to you, don't let a bad experience keep you from getting more chickens. They are great to have! Hope all works out well for you.

5. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Well I googled cornish rock roos and I don't see any with red on their shoulders so it may not even be a cornish rock, that's my observation. The green legs on the other chicken means EE. That red looks rooish too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  6. megg0602

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    thanks all for the replies!
    it just so happens that these two are also the quietest out of the bunch. Never cluck or peep really. I heard a cluck type sound for the first time from the EE yesterday lol.
    And they are also the most skittish... the EE is coming around, but the other one you cant even get near! The other girls sit on our laps!

And I am def not going to let this ruin having chickens. I love them so much! They bring such joy to my day everyday, I literally cant wait to get out of work and run to let them out [​IMG]
    I am meeting with a local woman in the next couple weeks for a couple chickens. She sounds perfect and seems to really know her stuff and care about them. So I am happy about that atleast.

here are some clearer pics too

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. megg0602

May 25, 2013
    western mass
    FYI- this is what the website says about the Cornish Rock I supposedly have...if it helps

"The Cornish Rock is a 1st generation cross of a Dark Cornish Rooster and White Rock hen. This is NOT the commercial Cornish Cross variety. While intended primarily as a starter pool for a broiler strain they will make both excellent layers or broilers. Both parent stocks are docile and non aggressive. If intended for broiler be sure to feed broiler mash, if intended for laying feed layer mash after the chick starter. "

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    At 10 weeks your white bird is a rooster. I think it may be a hatchery/poor quality red laced Cornish? Or just a mix of some type.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by