2nd time processing

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Poultrybonkers, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    These were bcm roosters. Even with the cone the first fell out 2 times!! They were easier to pluck then the leghorns. I used a ceramic knife. Last time it was a pairing knife.
    Here a vid.

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    very interesting video. i think i'm going to look for an outside table to do the work. i didn't like how the cone seemed to not hold the birds. i'm intending to use the cone. you helped me see some of the cuts better. did you scald the bird? the feathers seem to come out easily. thanks for sharing.

3. hydroswiftrob

hydroswiftrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2011
    N. Texas
    My Coop
    Do you have the second half of the video?

4. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    there is no second part my sister didnt video tape the rest
    but what are these?
    [​IMG]
    Only one of the roo's had these
    And what is the kidney bean looking thing
    [​IMG]

5. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    The second picture looks like lungs and a big ole testicle -

Please someone else let me know if I am wrong becuase I have yet to butcher a chicken.

6. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Those are indeed lungs and the kidney bean looking thing is indeed a testicle. The other roo certainly had lungs, you just may have missed them as they are molded to the ribs and people often miss them when they first start processing.

7. Poultrybonkers

Mar 22, 2011
    I thought lungs were up in the rib cage.

8. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    They are. Sometimes when you reach in to grab hold and start pulling stuff out you snag the lungs and sometimes you don't. For people who are new to processing, if the lungs don't come out at least partially with the rest of everything, they don't notice them. When you look in the cavity, if you don't know what exactly you are looking for, it's easy to miss the lungs as they are almost the same color as everything else.

ETA: when the lungs have been fully removed, you are able to see all the ribs. If you can't see the ribs, you havent removed the lungs.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  9. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    In the first picture, that dark brown thing on the top right is the liver. Just to the left of that is the gizzard. Jut below them is the heart.

When I cut the feet off, I cut around the joint, then bend it back until it separates. That way you can find exactly where the joint is and you can cut them apart without sawing on bone. I do the same thing to cut the wings and thighs off the body and to separate the thighs and drumsticks.

I make a table by putting a couple of 2x8's on two sawhorses. Something to work on makes it a whole lot easier. I hate when I drop a piece too. It's hard to get that grass and bits of trash off. Some type of table really makes it easier on my knees and back plus helps me keep them cleaner.

Thank you sister for taping that. That was interesting. I processed three older roosters yesterday. No way is my wife going to be in the vicinity, let alone tape anything.

10. WalkingWolf1

WalkingWolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Vermilion
    Good job. Nice to see you out there 'getting it done'. When I was much younger I liked to process a chicken or rabbit (only if 1 or 2) on the ground. It always had a more primal feel to it. The bracelets and ring in the middle of all of that is cool -- you look like you stayed true to yourself. As mentioned earlier you will get the feel for the joints with more experience. I laughed when the big cleaver came out (5:33). Been there, done that. Keep it up -- you'll have a lifetime of enjoyment and will be surprised at how many people you can introduce to the concept of producing your own food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by