1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2nd time raising back yard chickens, happy to have my chickens back!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Aetheria1923, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Aetheria1923

Aetheria1923 New Egg

Apr 6, 2017
    Hello and thanks for welcoming be back into the fold. I raised back yard chickens several years ago while I was living in rural western Vermont. Now I'm back to my home state of New Mexico, and finally I've gotten back to re-creating my flock, as I had missed my chickens terribly for over 6 years!

I'm finding all new challenges though, so I'm going to be asking for help like a crazy person! Lots of people think "New Mexico" and think "desert", but it's not so where I live. On the border with Colorado and at 8500 feet above sea level, cold and snow are not my only challenges. The town I live in is called Eagle Nest for a reason. Eagles. And hawks and falcons, oh my! So many threats from above!

The girls' coop will be inside a fenced yard of about one acre that they can free range within (contradiction in terms yes, but you get my meaning) and I have a pit bull that protects all the critters I tell her she's responsible for, so coyotes don't bother us. We still have a couple of members of the weasel family around though. It's going to be an adventure! I look forward to chatting with other back yarders again!

~Leah

2. Cntry1958

Cntry1958 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2017
    Somewhere in Maryland
    Hi Leah and welcome back to raising Back Yard Chickens. It sounds like you maybe in for a lot of chasing off predators where you are. I wish you the best with your new flock.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Leah, and :welcome! Pleased you joined our community! Vermont to New Mexico...that's quite a climate change! :eek:. But you're right - predators are predators and even if it's different ones, there are still a lot out there looking for a free chicken dinner! Here's a link to the predator thread should you have questions: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/13/predators-and-pests
    And here's a link to a Learning Center article that talks about various predators, how they do their business, and how to keep your flock safe: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-predators-pests-how-to-protect-treat-your-flock

And you can talk to fellow NM poultry folks in your state thread here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

Best wishes and enjoy your New Mexico :wootchicken adventure!

4. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hi Leah, it sounds like you have some challenges but there's plenty of experienced members around here to help out with just about any situation.

Best of luck and thanks for joining us!

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Welcome to BYC! Wow, that certainly sounds like it will be interesting anyway! Hope all goes well and you don't lose any birds. Glad you joined us and look forward to seeing you around!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC!

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Leah [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some links to great starting points, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out [​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Very nice to meet you Leah, so glad you joined us at Backyard chickens. I don't know if dogs notice airborne predators as well as those on the ground. Hawks in the big cities here pay no mind to humans being in the picture, they will dive and grab whatever is out there, dogs, cats, etc. You may have to resort to a covered run to protect your birds if the losses start piling up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by