1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

2nd time this summer ducks stopped laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hildy75, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Hildy75

Hildy75 Hatching

Jul 24, 2014
    Wisconsin
    I have 8 Rouen ducks, as far as I can tell it's 7 hens and one Drake. (The guesswork is due to a "black Duck" that I think is a female) 4 are 1-4 years old and 4(including the drake) are 5 months old. Here in Northern WI they usually lay eggs from April through October, Give or take a month or two. I always had more eggs over the summer than I knew what to do with, and often let them sit on a clutch or two. This year I've been picking the eggs every day. I would get 5-7 eggs a day. A couple local gals who are allergic to chicken eggs have been taking my extra eggs which is great!

All of a sudden at the beginning of July they stopped laying. I was lucky if I got 2 or 3 eggs every couple of days! I read about molting interfering and chalked it up to that. But now its happened again. Any suggestions? Comments? Information? They don't free range, food hasn't really changed... Water changed in paddle pool every other day.... My dogs usually do a good job of keeping coons etc out of the yard....

ANY Info or comments are welcome!

-Thanks!
    Hildy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: