2nd Time's a Charm - they're in the Coop!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by harmonyp, May 26, 2019.

1. harmonyp

harmonyp Songster

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    I tried putting them out last weekend - 11 were 6-week olds, 6 were 5-week olds. They were too cold at high 40's at night (60's day) and I brought them back in for another week.

This weekend, 1 week later at 7 and 6 week olds, they're just happy as can be. A few nights of low 50's at night, 70's day, then it's going up to 80's days, mid/high 50's nights.

I think that extra week made a big difference, plus gave me extra time to complete installation of galvanized wire under the sand floor to keep out the darned ground squirrels.

Now a month or two of getting to be big girls, then the run door will open into their 20' x 50' space surrounded by 6' high hardware cloth, and covered with aviary netting. coopin2.JPG

coop2.jpg

2. N F C

N F C Oh no Mr. Bill!

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Glad the extra week helped everyone! I like the looks of your coop, that weathered wood looks great.

Willowspirit likes this.
  3. Arent you proud of them? They are so cute!

N F C likes this.
  4. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    I just got mine out last weekend and I am so happy, that's 7 out of the house and 5 to go but they are silkies. Then I have 8 more coming (only 4 are mine though). Glad you succeeded!

Willowspirit likes this.
  5. I hear the song of chicken math!

Mybackyardpeepers likes this.
  6. Mybackyardpeepers

Mybackyardpeepers Crowing

Mar 22, 2019
    Michigan
    Yup I am a 100% supporter of CM anonymous! :gig

N F C and Willowspirit like this.
  7. harmonyp

harmonyp Songster

May 25, 2013
    N. California
    Proud as a mother hen!

Now, each morning when I open the coop door, I watch them one by one, go down their ramp into the big-girl run area. The white cochins (Farrah Fawcet and Princess Leia ) are the biggest chickens (not in size, in cautiousness!) and are afraid to come down, and I've had to assist them the past 2 days. But they are SO BRAVE once they get down! Then last night (2nd night out) they actually started putting themselves into the coop at sundown - 5 went on their own, the rest were huddled at the bottom of the ramp and got a little assist. Anyways - this is the best experience!

mybackyardpeepers - you really did it right, getting to relive this multiple times!

Willowspirit and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: