2nd try at incubating

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by loupan, Dec 11, 2011.

1. loupan

loupan Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Right then i have some polish chicken eggs arriving tomorrow my first attempt at this failed misserably with nothing hatch at all so i have been well and truly bummed out got 1 to lockdown and then it all went wrong [​IMG] , So not being one to give in im going for it again [​IMG]
    Ineed all the advise possible to get on the right track to begin with please please help me get this on right got my incubator set up and just waiting for eggs to arrive
    Thanks everyone hopefully this time round will be a success becouse i have the support of you guys and not going it alone [​IMG]

2. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I'm kinda new at incubating to, so I don't have all the answers but I'm willing to suggest a few things to chick oops check.

Recheck your thermometers for accuracy. You will also need a hydrometer. Read Chooks chicks page on incubating--I have much better hatches with the dry hatch method. I often have chicks hatch without the increase in humidity!

Keep incubator in a very stable environment temperature wise. My LG fluctuates with the ambient temperatures.

Keep a note book. THe big hatcheries do this also. Will help you see if any problems occur. Write all temp readings 2-4 tiems a day and RH ; I also record the room temps because my LG will follow soon.

Shipped eggs are a big risk; I have shipped eggs in now; my own eggs hatch well. SHipped eggs are trickier. Some people suggest let the eggs rest at room temp for 24 hours then put in incubator BUT not turn for a few days. Honestly, I don't have enough personal experience to know if this really makes a difference.

Candle your eggs at 6-10 days to look for development. Even fertilized eggs don't always make it to the 8-10 day mark. But you will have a clue if all has gone well so far.

Hope this gets you started. If this batch doesn't work, do try to find a local source of fresh, non shipped eggs and give those a try.

GL

3. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    Thanks arielle i have 3 thermometors in the incubator at the mo with with hygrometre to make sure its as accurate as possible .i am definatly going to try find a local egg supplyer they are not being shipped far but i guess even 5 mins in the hands of couriers is a danger fingers crossed they will arrive in tact [​IMG]

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    My own eggs hatch the best; I did buy eggs and traveled an hour home. Only 3 hatched out of 11. Ask a few question about storage method before buying. Big end up; turned 2x a day, cool storage area with high humidity if possible. This is how I handle my own eggs during storage as I'm waiting to set the eggs. Also 7 days old is better than 10 day old eggs.= hatch rate.

Chookchick is the woman's name; sorry for the earlier misspell.

My shipped eggs are in lockdown now and I'm worried they will not hatch. My own eggs keep hatching; nothing from the shipped eggs yet. Bought from 2 different sources , in two different states. Placed in incubator at the same time. Shipping is tough on eggs; PO is based on speed and offer insurance if you want compensation, for broken eggs only I think.

I did buy eggs from sources who eggs have had good hatch rates though to try to increase my chances. Still a risk though.

Did you actually test your thermomters?? they could all be off. Perhaps test a candy thermometer and then compare it to yours in use now.

Incubating has many challenges! GL

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I always have horrible hatches with shipped eggs, I expect it. My own eggs do wonderfully, you should try your own eggs to practice, I thought I was some kind of chick killer when I only would get one and most of the time none from shipped eggs, until I hatched my own mutt group, OMGosh I set 25 and all of them hatched, it was crazy, here I thought I was a killer and it was just shipped eggs, but I'm learning as I go, and now I just about have the birds I want to breed (other then the Marans) and will be able to set my own eggs.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    X2

I started with my own eggs and got 50% hatch rate the first time. I have shipped marans eggs in now. My future breeding stock. THree new lines to go with my current line. One of the estras, a OE is peeping!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] the marans start peeping soon!!!

Loupan-- check your temps in several locations. You have three thermometers. Check floor level, on top of eggs and many areas around the incubator. Which machine are you using by the way?

7. psycoforsilkies

psycoforsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2011
    East central Texas
    Hey Guys i ma only on my 2nd Hatch, the first one i used my own eggs and learned a few things and got lots of advice, we have digital, temp/hygrometers in our bators and then the old fashioned ones too. Built a room in the garage so we could control the temp and be draft free. We got one of the outdoor weather staion tepm/hygrometers that had a prob we put the unit inside the bator because it show temp& humidity inside the prob on the wall out side which shows temp in the room. I also have my Brooder in this room to the Heat lamp helps to keep it warm. It is usually about 70 degrees in there. That has helped keep the temp in bator stable. I also run a humidifier in the room so if i do have to open the bator the dry winter air doesnot suck up the moisture.
    For the second hatch we have now we decided to run a tube in to the bator , the tube has a t in it so one hose goes to the well of water and one goes to a sponge. i have a cap on the end of the tube, When my bator needs more water I add really hot water using eithier a syringe or also a turkey bastor works well too then I don't have to open the lid losing temp or humidity. Works great. The sponge helps to get humidity up for hatch. I throw sponge away and used a new one just to make sure no germs. Also boil tube to sterilize. These are just a few little things we found worked great to keep things constant. and not have to open bator but just to candle,. Our room also has no windows so makes it easy to candle in there. We are hoping for a great next hatch! have 55 silkie eggs in the bator!!

Also keep records, I numbered all my eggs and dated, and chart when i candle , so when it comes to hatch I can see what was going on.

8. loupan

Nov 24, 2011
    newzealand
    hi i have a homemade incubator ,i think with the first batch it was alot to do with humidity becouse this new thermometor says a complete different humidity to the one i used before and the temp is exact to the mercury themometor i will not put eggs in untill im completly satisfied temps and humidity are stabe i rushed in the first time being all excited and everything had no idea so much needed to be done ,this time i have more info so hopefully [​IMG] but hey irs all a learning experience i guess [​IMG]

9. melodym78

melodym78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    Indiana
    Quote:I was thinking the same thing about myself! lol glad to know I dont walk alone! Its very frustrating....[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by