2nd try...new pictures!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Jeffross1968, May 23, 2011.

1. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    We are down to just two unknowns. I've taken some different pics and hope we can get a consensus [​IMG]

We haven't named these 2 yet, in case we have to unload them for hens....so, lets call them dark and light? The first three pics will be of dark, the last 3 of light. If both birds are in the pic, the one in question is in the front...Here we go...

dark....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and light....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Has anyone guessed Golden Comet?

3. hmmcc123

hmmcc123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    University Place, WA
    I agree with Komaki. You can also look up Red Star Sex-link.

4. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    The one that is red with white in the tail feathers is a red sexlink, and the other looks like it's either a Road island red or production red.

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    How old are they? Light looks like a sex-link pullet, but Dark I'm not sure on. Pretty thick legs and I think I'm seeing hackle feathers start? But if they're the same age and dark is a roo, he should have lots more characteristics. IDK.

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Both roosters. Light has a roostery look to his eye, if you know what I mean. He also has a large comb and large feet. He IS colored like a Red Sexlink pullet, but he could be a Red Sexlink mixed with something else, like my rooster:
    [​IMG]

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG] Your roo is so pretty!.................Excuse me.........handsome. [​IMG]

8. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:I was thinking they both looked pretty roosterish to me as well, and I'm pretty sure dark has some pointed saddle feathers coming in. Also, your roo is a handsome guy, looks a lot like our rooster Big Daddy, except BD is hen feathered (I have no idea why).

9. Jeffross1968

Jeffross1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Smoky Mountains
    Since we bought them at auction, I don't know the age. Gah...we're not going to get a consensus are we? LOL!!!

Yeah, we love our Roosty too! Yes, we named him roosty. Lots and lots of thought had to go into that unique name [​IMG]

Cowgirl...roostery eye? Love it!

10. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:That's just how I describe it... [​IMG]

But seriously though, that is something I use to sex my birds. Once you've raised a batch or two of straight run chicks I'm sure you'll see what I'm talking about. [​IMG] The roosters tend to have a more frowning and alert look to their eyes/face, whereas the hens look more sweet and calm and placid.

BTW, I would guess yours are 3-4 months old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by