2pullets sneezing a bit...seem healthy. bad sign?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Trishkabob, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Trishkabob

Trishkabob Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    we have 4 chickens and this is our first winter with them. all seem bright and energetic, shiny feathers, eating/drinking well but 2 have been sneezing a bit. I have been giving them oatmeal with kefir (all we had was blueberry) which they like. Should I just monitor or is there something I ought to try, to head off a problem? I'd rather not wait for them to get sick....
    It is cold/snowy here but the henhouse is dry/ventilated/pretty draft free and I replaced the pine shavings yesterday to clear out old poo and feathers from the one who is moulting. They spend a few hours outside as well-we shoveled enough space for them to find some grass and run around outside their pen.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    With a little luck it's just irritation from inhaling dust and debris and such.

Good time to get familiar with common diseases, though:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. Trishkabob

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    thanks for the link....one of those things one ought to read but not too carefully or risk unwarrented fears or hypochondria by association!
    yikes.
    one of them does seem to have more loose poop than just that yucky one-in-ten version that stinks but it's hard to tell whose poop is whose. Sometimes the dust that seems to surround cracked corn makes them sneeze so I will keep an eye on them.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    An occasional loose poop is quite normal. Have you seen the poop chart? (Brace yourself, lots of pics)

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Know just what you mean by the hypochondria. I refuse to study it, just want it handy if I have a problem, but I have browsed through it to get an idea.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2011
  5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine developed CRD over the summer. It manifested as occasional sneezes and looking "below par". They got over it with supplemental feeding .

6. Trishkabob

Oct 30, 2010
    Schuylerville, NY
    CRD would also present with lethargy or other symptoms beside sneezing? She was sneezing again today but has the most ravenous appetite of the group and is the most active...first out of the henhouse, etc.
    There are a couple of tiny black dots on her comb that I never noticed before....?

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by