2wk old Coturnix quail suddenly ill.

mjclark40711

Hatching
Jun 9, 2023
Hi, In my incubator, I hatched only 2 Coturnix quails and 2 Button Quails 13 days ago. They've only been with themselves indoors. Yesterday, one of my Coturnix suddenly became lethargic, wobbly, sleepy eyes, and the other babies are bullying it.
I've separated it so it can eat and drink but it calls out for its buddies. It seems to still eat and drink.
Can it still get sick if none have been exposed to "anything" outdoors?
Thanks for any advice.
Monica

So it's probably not the feed. Do you have a picture or video of the ill quail? I've seen behavior like that once they're outside a while, but not indoors. My bet would be it's something innate to the bird, unless the substrate is questionable or there are other birds on the property. Some have internal issues, but you can't exactly tell without opening them up.

Thank you for your help.
The Coturnix is doing much better. Past few day, I take him to eat and drink by himself a few times a day and put a small box of "clean" soil in the cage to scratch....his adult feathers have come farther along in fluffing out. It walks taller, has a lot more energy and sings beautifully. When I put it in another cage to eat and drink I brought over a Button so it wouldn't be lonely. The Coturnix aloud the Button to snuggle underneath it. So cute.

Back
Top Bottom