1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2wk old duckling has feel that are peeling?, normal?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kysilkies, Dec 21, 2009.

1. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    It looks like it's peeling after a sunburn, is this normal or should we apply some lotion or emu oil or something?!?!

2. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    It is completely normal for their feet to shed. It will come off on its own - just dont pull it off. If you want you could give them a warm bath and it will help withthe shedding

3. kysilkies

kysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Elizabethtown, KY
    Thank you!!!!!

4. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    I'm glad to read this too, although it's three years too late! [​IMG] When my ducks were ducklings, their feet were peeling and I was worried! Now next time I raise ducklings I know not to worry about that.

5. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    Yes - it happened to mine too. Scared me to death, but someone on here told me it was common. It doesn't last long..

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Its just like reptiles shedding - sort of. Because their feet are scaley and all they shed the skin on their legs and feet while they grow - just like when the quill starts chipping off to let the feathers grow in. My ducklings are in that stage right now, so i have to vaccum when they come inside for some play time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by