2x2 kennel fencing

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hugerat, Jun 18, 2010.

1. Hugerat

Hugerat Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    I live in suburban chicago. Predetors that I am aware of in our area are; fox and recently some coyotes. Have not seen racoons since we switched to a new garbage bin system in our town. We also have some possums, are they a risk to chickens?

Lowes sells this knotted 2x2 kennel fencing. http://www.redbrand.com/products/product2.asp?category=Fence&subcat=2&productID=20

The
    wire gauge seems thicker than hardware cloth and the knotted connection look stronger than welds, but of course the opening are bigger. We do plan to coop the birds at night.

2. ericstac

ericstac Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2010
    the problem with such a wide opening is that

1. the chicken can stick its head through it to grab some grass or something that looks interesting, like a string.. and the coon or other predator can grab it and rip its head off.

2. the coon can wait patiently until one of your beauties walks nearby and he will reach in and rip her head off.

other than that it would work.. maybe add 1/2 inch hardware cloth to the first two feet.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It will work....but putting a smaller fencing like chicken wire along the bottom will help....

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

It will work fine. Just put about 2 ft of chicken wire on the inside of it so the chickens can't stick their heads out. And yes, possums are a threat.

5. tylermckee

tylermckee Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    I used the same fence with hardware cloth on the bottom 30". the fencing is really sturdy and easy to work with. Just watch the ends where you cut it, as sometimes the knots can pull free since its not a welded wire.

you can see what i mean here, if i would have just stapled the wire running parallel to the 2x4 it could pull out. So i staple it the way i have shown, or staple the one running parallel and then bend the tails over so it can't slip apart, depending on where it lands. I used 1 1/4" galvanized staples and i could climb up it if i wanted.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  6. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

DO raccoons really rip their heads off?

7. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

yes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by