2x4 shavings as bedding?

becklinn77

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 1, 2011
Oologah, OK
I usually buy shavings at the farm store for my coops. My husband recently did a wood project and ended up with a big trashcan full of shavings, really soft curls, no chunks, but not fine like saw dust either. It was just regular 2x4s, not pressure treat or anything special.
Can I use this in my coops?

I think they'll eat them cuz they'll think there dried worms lol. Not like they dont eat the other bedding you use any who. I'd mix it with whatever your already using.

I usually buy shavings at the farm store for my coops. My husband recently did a wood project and ended up with a big trashcan full of shavings, really soft curls, no chunks, but not fine like saw dust either. It was just regular 2x4s, not pressure treat or anything special.
I use those for my run and such and no one is ever gotten sick...we have alot of trees at our place...

I don't know what wood those regular 2x4's were, probably pine. That's the same stuff many of us normally use. I would not hesitate to use pine shavings. Does your husband know what kind of tree those 2x4's came from?

Got pics...with something for scale(dollar bill or quarter)?
Were shavings cut with a plane or draw knife?
Were 2x4's purchased or 'home milled'?
If purchased at lumber yard or big box store they are probably fir which should be fine for chicken bedding

Use it! As you mentioned, it's not pressure treated, and as long as it's not cedar you should be just fine. Just add them into the coop when the chickens are outdoors, I find them to be a bit dusty.

Back
Top Bottom