2x4 wire

My neighbors are using that and it seems to work OK. What kind of predators live in your area

Like I said neighbors use that wire and I have just plain old chicken wire. We havr raccoons and hawks...and it has not been a problem

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

skunks,coons,possums.i used my search bar.and some say not really safe.
thanks.

i used it on my chicken tractor. I like it because it is stronger than chicken wire but my chickens go inside an enclosed area at night so they are safe from predators. A coon could definitely pull a chick or part of a chicken through 2x4 wire and eat it but a coon can also tear through chicken wire if they want. I used 2x4 no climb horse fencing around my main coop and i love it. I set up a temporary area for my juvenile chickens using the 2x4x60" wire(welded wire from TSC) and the fox used to either climb it or jump it all the time and run off with my juveniles. The best wire to use is a 1/2' hardware mesh for a chicken tractor but i would only use that if you can find some heavier gauged wire. The hardware mesh they sell at lowes and home depot is thin and weak.

I strongly believe the only reason the fox has never been in the main coop but went into the juvenile coop many times was because it could actually see the chickens in juvenile coop. I kind of live by that rule of thumb. If the predators can't actually see the chickens at night, they are much less likely to try to get to them.

I bought the exact same fencing for my chickens. I am setting it up tomorrow, but I had intended it mostly just to keep the chickens in. I reasoned that since most predators hunt at night, and my birds will always be locked up securely in their coop at night, they should be safe. I have started a thread on the welded wire here : https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/707531/welded-wire-fence-pros-and-cons. Hope it helps.
smile.png

i used it on my chicken tractor. I like it because it is stronger than chicken wire but my chickens go inside an enclosed area at night so they are safe from predators. A coon could definitely pull a chick or part of a chicken through 2x4 wire and eat it but a coon can also tear through chicken wire if they want. I used 2x4 no climb horse fencing around my main coop and i love it. I set up a temporary area for my juvenile chickens using the 2x4x60" wire(welded wire from TSC) and the fox used to either climb it or jump it all the time and run off with my juveniles. The best wire to use is a 1/2' hardware mesh for a chicken tractor but i would only use that if you can find some heavier gauged wire. The hardware mesh they sell at lowes and home depot is thin and weak.

I strongly believe the only reason the fox has never been in the main coop but went into the juvenile coop many times was because it could actually see the chickens in juvenile coop. I kind of live by that rule of thumb. If the predators can't actually see the chickens at night, they are much less likely to try to get to them.
did you have to stretch that wire? I was thinking of doing that until i leaned it needs to be stretched....

our home depot here sells 19 gauge hardware cloth, that's about as heavy gauge for hardware cloth that they make.

although you can order hardware cloth on amazon a lot cheaper than buying local. At least the local prices around here anyway

Back
Top Bottom